Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Equinox Party

I suppose this is terribly late.
We had a lovely dinner party on Sunday, as is our tradition, in celebration of the first day of autumn. I do know that Sunday was not actually the first day of the season, but we were leaving town on Tuesday in the wee hours and I thought it best to move the date of the celebration.
As it was, I really should have moved it to Saturday or even Friday. Once again, I imagined myself as being super-human. I imagined that I could, in fact, do it all. Once again, I was wrong.
I write this from my in-laws’ living room, exhausted and a little stunned at all that has happened over the last couple of days. My body is refusing to continue forward and my brain doesn’t even really want to blog. But somewhere in the far reaches of my mind, a little voice tells me that if I do not, I will have entirely too much to catch up on later and I will have to gloss over details and I don’t like glossing over things.
So, on with the party.
Emma was a big help. Here she is eating the apple peels for me. We were making apple crisp.

Andrew helped too. Especially, he lit the candles.

My fat little birdies enjoyed the party lights and leaves.

I really loved how these lights glowed through the leaves against my perfectly butter-yellow walls.

The centerpieces were dessert, of course. The party favors? Giant ginger cookies in pretty parchment bags.












And our wonderful, amazing, fabulous friends did the dishes:

And Joe & Mindy helped us put our furniture back where it belonged and finish cleaning up. Remember a couple of days ago when I said I couldn’t have done it without help? We had help. Lots of wonderful help.
Finally, I must show you the quiet tribute that sat on our hutch. The Autumnal Equinox is very close to Emma’s birthday. One year, when she was very small, she was so excited for the big party. She helped me decorate and put out silverware and asked who would be coming. She asked about cake and was a little confused when I told her there wouldn’t be one. It wasn’t until people started arriving without presents that we all figured it out. She thought we were having, not an Autumnal Equinox party, but a Ton of Lincoln Logs birthday party for her.
Here is her Lincoln Log décor, complete a Fall Décor store and a dump for putting all the party trash in after the soiree. And an action figure that looks surprisingly like Geraldo Rivera.

6 comments:

claibornes corner said...

ooh - the party looks beautiful - wish we could have been there for that. Relax now and enjoy your trip and we look forward to having you guys here for Thanksgiving...Nana

Mary said...

What a lovely, lovely party. Your room looks magical and warmly inviting. Makes me wish I could have been there. I'm glad you were able to blog about it. It was certainly worth reading. I loved looking at all the details you put into it. Even the things on your bookcase were Autumn inspired. Very nice.

Ton of Lincoln Logs...That's so cute!

Amy Button said...

It all looks absolutely beautiful. I do things like that too- like hosting a graduation party for Amanda the night before we left for FL. I'll never do that again.

So all we're missing are pictures of Miss Christy in her autumn dress, right?

60ish and Glad said...

I love all the photos of my back. I did not know it was so attractive! Everything was wonderful. It was fun.

frabjouspoet said...

Everything looks so beautiful! I only wish I was there so I could wear a leaf wreath in my hair.

mindy said...

what a great time.....i'm so happy you decided to host this year's party. fall would just not have been the same without it!