Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Lickety Split

I'd be willing to bet that this has never happened to you:

It's an interesting thing, working with kids. They're all so unique and so amazing. But unlike school teachers, as a piano teacher, I have a real cross-section of the under-18 set in my life. I have teenagers and little bitty ones, I have brave ones and I have extra-shy ones. I have a few with disabilities too, and I love that about the studio where I teach.
This afternoon, I was sitting in the lobby of the studio with a girl who has Down's Sydnrome. She's not my student, but I've taught her once or twice as a substitute or assistant, so she knows me.
A huge smile crossed her face when I walked through the door, looking for my next student. She patted the chair next to hers, waving me closer. So I sat down.
I was wearing a pair of sandals and she reached toward my desperately-in-need-of-a-pumice-stone heel and asked me, eyes full of concern, "what happened?" She seemed certain a horrible accident had caused these injuries.

I need a pedicure.
So what?
I have bigger things to worry about.
OK?

I answered her, "Oh, honey. It's just dry, that's all. I'm alright." And before I knew what was happening, lightning fast,

she licked my foot.

I mean, I guess I did say it was dry...

7 comments:

Amy Button said...

I just laughed out loud. I can honestly say that I did not see that one coming.

I had an aunt with Down's and there was usually some sort of something like that going on. She was as sweet as she could be though and I miss her.

60ish and Glad said...

HA HA HA that is SOOOO funny. I love children with downs...they are so much themselves.

Mary said...

I AM LAUGHING SO HARD!!!!

That is awesome!

claibornes corner said...

I can just see your face!!!!!

Jessica said...

I guess you don't need a pedicure now? :) That's the best story!

frabjouspoet said...

Um...yeah. Welcome to my world. This is what I love about spending the bulk of my day with them.

Leslie said...

I was NOT expecting that!! That made me laugh out loud!