Thursday, February 26, 2009

Kids' ATC

I signed Emma up for a kids' artist trading card (ATC) swap last month or so. It's a really cool concept and I first heard about it at House on Hill Road (the original post can be found here). The idea is that an artist will create original pieces of art on specifically-sized paper (2.5 x 3.5") and they swap cards with other artists. Some people are serious ATC collectors, even! Like Pokemon for grownups, I guess.
Anyway, this was an opportunity for kids to create and share with other kids around the world and I thought it would be right up Emma's alley. I would have passed the link on to you all, but by the time I found it, the deadline was almost up. Here's hoping there will be more swaps to come, though. I'll be sure to let you know if I hear of any more.
Lots of people are posting photos of their kids' work in a Flickr group, too, which is really fun to peruse.
I thought I'd post Emma's work here, though, in addition to the Flickr group. Cause, you know, a mom likes to show off now and again. These are all rather unusual, considering her personal style. She normally works a lot with pencil and draws elaborate, story-filled pictures. But these are really colorful and I really loved the titles she ascribed to each of them! They made me laugh, but I tried to keep that to myself.
"Sunset in Antarctica"


"Assorted Citrus"


"I've Got My Eye On You"


"Enchanted Fruit #1"


"Enchanted Fruit #2"


I love how she confidently puts whatever she wants on a piece of paper and tries new mediums fearlessly. I hope that stays with her forever.

DAILY BLISS: toasted coconut shortbread cookies in the oven <3

6 comments:

mrs shortcake said...

bwahahahaha! I love it! (ps. even better - ascribe your own titles to children's artwork - I did it all the time at the preschool I used to teach at ;) )

claibornes corner said...

Great Great Great - what was she using for a medium - she's getting better and better - I'm sooooo proud!!!

Christy said...

Miss Shortcake - I totally do that sometimes. I taught preschool for a little while and those are the sort of things that get you through the day, right?

Nana - she used some pastels and watercolors for starters, which she doesn't use often. She also used markers (which were painfully dried-out), colored pencils, sharpies and glitter, of course :)

Mary said...

I LOVE those. I think Assorted Citrus is my favorite. What a great little person she is. Aren't you just amazed that you get to live with those people you call your children?

Amy Button said...

So very cool! I love the names. They're colorful and whimsical and beautiful- right up my alley. I'll have to see if I can find out any more about that kind of thing for Chloe.

Christy said...

Mary? Totally. Amazed. Every day. I'd bet good money that you are too :)