Sunday, June 13, 2010

Observation

Many times this week, I've thought to myself that I ought to get on this blog and say something. Sure, it hasn't been that long since I posted, but I'm usually a little more wordy. I always have stories to tell and molehills to turn into mountains with my words.
Honestly?
I'm facing down a bit of writers' block.
Life is happening and it's wonderful. Happiness abounds and I am having more fun than ever discovering all that lies in the changes that have come my way this year. Summer is here and my babies are home with me and we have plans.

I sat in my back yard today after planting the last of my sweet potato slips (I honestly don't think I have a corner left out there to accommodate more sprawling vines) and I just decided to keep sitting.

As I quieted myself and sat more still, a mama mockingbird grew ever bolder in her swooping hunt, coming closer to me after each dive as she searched out juicy morsels in newly-turned earth.
A mama cardinal glided silently down under the kids' fort and stole a bit of something bright and pink that I can only presume was left there by Emma ages ago. She darted back up to her perch in the tree and bragged about her find for the whole neighborhood to hear.
The light continued to fade and the breeze grew stronger and a pair of mourning doves started to call to each other across the alley. A pair of egrets soared just overhead, cutting a diagonal line from the corner of my roof to the corner of the back fence.

And I decided that I haven't been listening enough.

I think this will be a Silent Summer.

I have had many summer experiments. Once, I wore aprons in public as much as possible. There was even the No Pants Summer wherein I wore only skirts and dresses. And I think that this summer, I will be listening quite a bit and telling fewer of my own stories.

For the purpose of this blog, I am hoping that this will mean wordless posts, or nearly so - photos of my days with little explanation. I'm sure I will have things to say now and again. But I hope that when I do write, it will matter and my stories will be good. I have so many things to knit and make and build and do and I don't want to spend all my spare minutes on talking about myself.

So.

Silent Summer.
Beginning now.

Daily Bliss: leftover chocolate truffles

6 comments:

claibornes corner said...

You always say a lot with your photos and I love that.....

Amy Button said...

That sounds wonderful...for you :D

I think I've felt the same way lately. Things in general are so beautiful that I have a hard time writing about it. I just want to tuck it away and treasure it for myself.

I have no doubt that we'll see a lot of what you're seeing in your pictures. It's a great idea to let them talk for you.

Music Quest said...

Ah, a quiet, listening summer. Its a great idea. The amount of things that you will hear in a whole different way will amaze you, that includes what people are saying. Yer gonna love it :)

Meg . . .

frabjouspoet said...

It's funny that you posted this because I've been thinking the same thing lately. I'm trying to listen more, too, but I think I've decided that this will be my summer of poetry.

Mary said...

That's pretty inspiring really. I still haven't finished my study on stillness. This feels like more nudging.

On the flip side, as a reader of your blog, my immediate thought was, "that puts pressure on my comments." What if I'm not hearing what you were when you took the picture will my comments be stupid? :)

Christy said...

LOL - Mary! Your comments are *never* stupid! You never know - I might not be saying anything at all with my pictures.