Monday, December 1, 2008

Long Road Home

Well, the good news is Grandpa is going to be OK. He narrowly escaped with his life for the second time this year. The collapse in the garage brought out an ambulance and he actually had to be revived before they even got out of the neighborhood. If we had been on the road, or if he had been at his house (which is kind of far from emergency facilities) or on the golf course or anywhere else, really, he wouldn't be here. There doesn't seem to be a firm consensus on what the real issue was, but some of his medication needs to be tweaked and he will be having a carotid artery un-clogging surgery sometime this week. Oh - and he and Grandma stayed in Georgia. They'll travel back home when he's able and until then, they're in the capable hands of my aunt and uncle.
We headed back after noon on Saturday. Somewhere around 3:00, having passed a series of three accidents in a five-mile stretch (it took 45 minutes to get past them all), we decided to stop for some lunch. We used my parents' handy little Garmin to find a Golden Corral. I know. Ugh. But at least there would be salad and fruit and everybody could find something they liked - and it wasn't a hamburger and fries. It was going to be a little off-the-beaten path, but it would be worth the drive to get out and stretch and eat, right?
Oh. So wrong.
When Garmin finally told us we'd arrived at our destination, we discovered it was no longer the feeding trough we'd been seeking out. No. In fact, it was now the Ole Times Country Buffet. And we decided to eat there anyway. We pulled into the parking lot, exhausted and stressed out, hungry and tired. I noticed that there were pigs emblazoned on all the windows. And then I saw the slogan and I really cracked up! It would seem that, when you eat at the Ole Times Country Buffet, you are "eatin' high on the hog." Wow.

It was, uh, memorable. And as we left, I said, "I am sooooo blogging this." So there.
When we got back in the car, the pups were all waiting for a treat. All four of them.

It was rainy and gray all day as we drove, but we all stayed occupied and happy.
The kids watched a few movies, played with a new toy or two and generally did things that required headphones. Thankfully.



Oh - and me? How did I stay busy? With a little bit of knitting, of course.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Gotta love those buffets.

I'm glad Grandpa will be alright but I'm sorry it was such an ordeal. Whatever you are making in the last picture, looks gorgeous!

Amy Button said...

I'm so glad your grandpa is OK and has great people to care for him. So sorry about the country buffet- I hate getting stuck at a place like that. At least you could blog about it :)