Monday, December 1, 2008

Trimming

Yesterday, we put up our tree. I'm not sure it's done yet, but we got the biggest part of it done before we had to return to real life today. Oh, real life, why must you butt in on all my fun?
I've always been the one who wanted a pretty tree - a fussy, matchy-matchy tree. But it never really works that way, and I've outgrown it by now. I look at all of the pretty color schemes in magazines. I love the blue and white trees and those modern trees with teal and brown. But, you know, once I catch sight of something glittery and red and green, my heart melts and I'm a goner. So my tree is traditional. And I like it. All four of us pick a new ornament every year, so we do have a quite a few oddball ornaments too.
Like my husband's snowboarding polar bear. Oy.

As the years have gone by and my children have grown older, they have been able to participate more and more in the tree trimming. In the excitement, they get a little jumpy and antsy and it's all I can do to keep up with handing them precious glass orbs to put on the tree.

I don't really get to decorate it any more at all. I have been relegated to this task:

I guess I'm, er-hmm, the hooker.
Sorry. I know that was in bad taste.

And, even though the kids tend to concentrate all the ornaments in the middle range of the tree, I don't have to worry at all about it being pretty and balanced. I don't worry because, well, my husband takes care of it. There are good reasons that he is an inventory analyst. He is very particular about certain things. While the kids are wildly flinging ornaments, he spends his time spreading them out and making sure that there are no two of the same color are next to each other. Oh, and he makes sure that most of the odd ones are in the back.


I usually put ribbons around it like a garland, but I'm thinking I won't do that this year. It takes forever and I'm trying to un-fuss our holiday a little. But I'm not sure...maybe I want a beaded garland or something. Just to shake things up a little, you know? But even as it is, I think I love it. I think it's Christmas now.


Lovely.


DAILY BLISS: a sweet little hat I'm knitting and loving - absolutely soft yarn in fun colors

5 comments:

Liz Harrell said...

Your tree looks beautiful! I love those themed trees too, but I've got 28 years worth of childhood ornaments that DO NOT fit with a theme. Unless Halmark from the 80's is a theme?

Mary said...

I love the way the lights are reflecting off the hard wood floors. Beeyooteeful!

Amy Button said...

The hooker! That's too funny! My kiddos pretty much decorated the tree by themselves too. I've wanted a pretty tree too but I'm way too attached to the ornaments the kids make at school and bring home. One day I'd like to have two trees...

Christy said...

Mary - that's my favorite thing about it. The reflection in the floor!

j.me said...

your tree is wonderful! i'll enjoy looking at your tree, because all that will fit in my apartment is a charlie brown type tree. : )