Monday, April 6, 2009

Recap

We had a nice weekend.
Chris' birthday was Saturday. I don't think either of us ever imagined being 35. We don't feel like we're qualified for such an advanced age level. But we celebrated in a low-key manner, appropriate for my laid-back honey. He requested waffles with homemade strawberry syrup for breakfast. I was happy accommodate. Then we took the kids to see Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D. It was so much fun! We laughed through the whole thing. I mean, Stephen Colbert as the president? C'mon. That's funny stuff.
We, unfortunately, had to attend the funeral of a friend's dad on Saturday afternoon. It was hard to watch this strong, Godly family go through such a loss. But it was a moving celebration of the good, faithful life this man had lived.
And Chris' big birthday party at my mom's house was just as low-key as everything else we'd done that day. Just a mess of good Mexican food (my mom makes the best refritos ever!) and a homemade strawberry cake with lime glaze - also a special request. My hubby, he doesn't ask for much. So when he asks, I always make sure to work a bit of magic for him. I think I overheard my sister-in-law remarking on the lack of celebratory accessories - there were no balloons or big present boxes or special cake plates. But after many years of being suspicious that he was secretly hoping for big celebrations, I have finally accepted the fact that my husband prefers his birthdays to be simple. That makes it so much easier for me, too.
We spent Sunday afternoon finishing up our garden set-up. All but three pepper plants are now happily hanging upside down in our back yard. We have way too many tomatoes and a few cucumbers, some peppers and some beans. We'll see how it all goes...so far, so good.

DAILY BLISS: a moment yesterday when I realized that the quiet of a Sunday evening at home had drawn all four of us into the living room with books and sketchbooks at once - a peaceful moment of family togetherness

6 comments:

Amy Button said...

Strawberry cake with lime glaze? That sounds divine. Happy birthday Chris!!!

claibornes corner said...

Sounds like a great birthday! And don't forget to tell Christ we are expecting him for dinner, a room and a beer! Got to figure out the upside down pots - I brought post hole diggers from Columbus but we're having a hard freeze and "snow flurries" tomorrow so that wil have to wait!

claibornes corner said...

Oh - I just noticed that "99%" on Nana's shawl!!!!!! whoopie, hotdog!

Christy said...

Nana - I only haven't put it to 100% because it needs to be blocked yet. The stitching is all done though :) Chris will be bringing it with him when he comes for his beer!!

60ish and Glad said...

Awe - Chris is such a guy! Love that simpleness - well - sometimes.

christina said...

I can totally relate with the years of suspicion that Chris really wanted a big b-day bash. I went through many such years of suspicion with my own low-key honey until I discovered "man talk," which apparently is saying what you actually mean (so foreign in the world of "woman talk" sometimes). Who knew? Birthdays have been so much easier ever since (and I'm sure more enjoyable for My Honey as well).