Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I'm Dreaming Of A.....

We watched White Christmas last night. It's become another one of those annual things that we do. Chris and I have always enjoyed the movie, and Bing simply makes me swoon. My brother Joe has observed that his voice is "so smooth it's like.....like....butter!" Joe and Mindy have joined for a few years and it's the one tradition that I can always count on Mindy to make sure we do. I put a roast in the crock pot in the morning, and when I got home, I was able to serve a wonderful dinner to both of my brothers and one sister-in-law (the other is out of town), sit around my living room, lit with the Christmas tree and candles, feed everyone way too many cookies and homemade hot cocoa and enjoy one of my favorite movies of all time. It's a wonderful thing to be occupied with something and have the realization sneak up on you that there is really nothing else you'd rather be doing just then.
The kids are in a performance tonight at the church/school Advent service. Chris will not join us until it nearly begins, which means I had to go online to learn how to tie a tie for my boy. I think it's the Pratt knot that's highly recommended by my fashionisto brother (see that? that's the masculine form of "fashionista"). That took me several tries, but I think I've got it. Photos are sure to follow soon.....
I do love their school. As we watched the movie last night, the Andrew caught sight of a sign that was part of the scenery that said "XMas" something or other. He asked what "XMas" meant. I was about to give him the answer (hint: it doesn't really mean what most people think it does) when my first grader piped up and said "the X comes from Jesus' name. It looks like a P with an X over it." Of course, she is talking about the Chi Rho. Brilliant! Did I mention that I love their school?
And I leave you with a fabulous Emma quote. She is working on a project for school that involves glitter and beads, and was philosophizing about creativity - specifically, I think I complimented her on her skills. She replied, "All it takes is a little bit of magic and a lot of knowledge." There it is. The art of womanhood, summed up.

DAILY BLISS: splenda candy canes

7 comments:

Joe said...

Do Splenda candy canes taste right?

Christy said...

Nope. They're a little bitter. But if you haven't been allowed any sugar for two or three months.....they're quite nice.

claibornes corner said...

Sounds like a great brother-sister night for all...I'm dreaming of a White Christmas too! Nana

Joe said...

Wait... no sugar? Are you diabetic now? I must have missed something (which is not surprising).

Amy Button said...

Ah, Bing...swoon. I love that movie.

Very impressive that Emma knew about the Chi Rho and she's creative to boot! What a little sweetie.

Christy said...

Ha! Joe, you didn't miss much. Nothing as dramatic as diabetes, fortunately, but I have had some increasing health problems/general malaise and finally saw a natural health practitioner. I have a few food allergies that were discovered and a gut issue that likes sugar and simple carbs (trying to avoid over-sharing :) ). It'll go away now that I'm taking some medicine and starving it....so sugar and I will be reunited soon, but it may never be the same....

Mary said...

I love this post.

Especially Emma's comment.