Sunday, December 30, 2007

Wrapping Up the Christmas Present

Usually, at this point in the year, I will journal or post something wildly sentimental and romantic. Something about family, tradition, Christmas and reflection.
This year, I am too tired. This season knocked me flat. Now, had I some vacation time, even just the day after Christmas, I might have recovered. But I had to go back to work on the 26th. We even went to bed at a decent time this Christmas Eve (something like 12:00, when it is normally closer to 3:00). We worked so hard to be rested and made our compromises at every turn, but....maybe I'm just getting too old for all of this.
I have been fighting a little virus since well before Christmas that seems to bounce right back in no matter how much Zycam I snort. That's also a large part of the problem, I suppose.
But all of that is not to say that our Christmas wasn't merry and bright. It really was. Nothing is better to me than my loved ones gathered in a warm spot and sharing their hearts with each other. Nothing.
Here are a few of the photos I managed to snap in passing over the last several days:
Cookie baking and talking to Grandma about Santa:














My beeeee-oooootiful tree, stuffed to the gills and ready for Christmas morning (Chris has transformed the gift-arranging into an art form):

Drew reads the Christmas story before we open presents every year:


My puppers waiting for her present (for dogs, we call this "Sausage Day," the day when Santa brings wrapped bits of Hickory Farms goodness to all the good little puppies), and my crazy little bro with the fishing pole he really wanted, wearing the crazy hat my dad got for him - and I swear, people, it was just a joke gift. Nobody in our family is that much of a redneck.....:












Shots of the aftermath:









Me and one of my favorite gifties - thanks Julianna! - (if there's anything I like better than polka dots, it's red polka dots....and if it relates to coffee, that's even better!):


For me, the highlight of the season is visiting with old friends who come to town, though there were only two this year. It is such a blessing to have this handful of rich, old relationships in my life. I've been reflecting on that a little bit this week and have concluded that it's a beautiful thing when the ties that bind are made up of a shared history rather than simply commonality. To know that, no matter how long you are apart, and no matter how seldom your face is seen, you are accepted and loved as you are (love you, B!) is a great thing.
One such friend of mommy's visited our house this week. We haven't given him an official name. We have tossed around TechnoSanta and RoboSanta, benefactor and Evil Overlord, but he told me today that he might like to be a Tzar. Dear, would you like that to be Tzar with a "t" or with a "c?" And would you like it specified that you are the Technology Tzar, the Robot Tzar or Crazy Uncle Czar? Either way, a friend of mine has once again bestowed unimaginable gifts of technology upon my children. I promise to post some geeked-out photos of Drew with his laptop ASAP. When Emma's arrives (the supply was a little short of demand, I understand), I will see how geeky we can make her for a photo too. Anyway, Mr. Tzar was cleaning out his dad's garage while visiting and found an awesome box of Star Wars stuff and thisses and thats for little boys (and big ones too) to appreciate and care for. Andrew gave them all a bath today, while Chris stood in the doorway and proclaimed things like, "I always wanted the AT-AT" and, "I used to have that same Jabba!" So, cleaned-up Star Wars relics:

And my favorite item from the box, a labeled calculator. It reminds me of a boy I used to know.....:

So, anyway, we are full and happy, over-cookied and ready for a good night's sleep.

DAILY BLISS: successfully hemming some cuffed pants (I am not a seamstress and this took me several hours to figure out) and new clothes!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Wow! Sounds like a beautiful time.