Sunday, December 30, 2007

Knitty Gifties

As promised, now that gifts have been given, I can share with you how far my new hobby has taken me. I am now obsessed with knitting. I made my brother Jon an angora hat, my brother Joe a lightweight cashmere hat, and a friend another cashmere hat, only it was warmer yarn.
And I made two scarves. Two lovely, lovely scarves. First, Sarah's (Jon's wife):
A nice, plummy gray yarn from knitpicks.com it's merino wool and a little silk, and for anyone who cares, I will post more details about the pattern on ravelry when I get around to it (I figure if you're enough of a knitter to want to know about the yarn, you probably already are on ravelry...and if you're not, just ask me and I'll be happy to share details!):


And the Mindy Scarf (Joe's wife), which all of you so generously voted on and offered opinions about and then the yarn told me it didn't want to be a scarf after all. So, my mom helped me buy this amazing yarn by The Fibre Company and it's kettle-dyed and it has yak and camel and alpaca and other wonderful things in it. I really just wanted to keep the yarn and pet it. But I made the scarf anyway:


And I had a lot of fun designing a little fake label with my ravelry username on it - kikiknits:

And that pretty much sums it up. I am currently turning the old Mindy Scarf pink yarn into leg warmers for my favorite little ballerina, who went up on toe shoes for the first time a couple of weeks ago (Did I have my camera with me? No. Aaargh!), and I think I'm going to do a cardigan for my mom for her birthday. No surprises though, we will fit this one as we go so we don't waste our work! And that means I'll be able to share pictures too.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I love your label...so fun. Your knitting is really well done and were I to just stumble upon this blog I would never guess that you had only been doing it a little while. You seem to have a knack for the knits. (if you read this out loud pronounce the k in both of those words because that's what corny me is doing.)

Can't wait to see the cardigan in progress.

Christy said...

Thank you oh-so-much! And, I was already pronouncing the K's before I read your instructions. So....I'm just as corny, I guess.

Amy Button said...

The scarves are beautiful! Love them *and* your label.