Monday, May 18, 2009

Oy. Has the weekend already ended?
I decided on Friday that I'd feel better if I really dug in and finished some things that have been on my list for a while. Of course, my list was overly ambitious and I knew I wouldn't finish it, but the list sort of made itself.
I finished a tunic - another one of those summer blouses from my Weekend Sewing book. Love it. I also made a dress from a seriously beautiful vintage sheet. I love the pattern and I'll definitely make it again. I have this vision for a summer wardrobe of filmy, gauzy dresses in faded, sepia colors, layered with cotton slips that have ruffles on the bottom. Pretty specific, I know. But I finally made a dress that fits the bill.
Pictures? Yeah, well...I tried. They were really bad. I'll try again soon, I promise.
I also started on the fairy costume for Emma's book report later this week.
Oh. And knitting. I knitted quite a bit.
And even though my hands hurt a little bit, I'm really glad I did all of that. Of course, I didn't get any of the other essential things done, like grocery shopping and paperwork and stuff. But I'll try for all of that stuff tomorrow. After I finish the fairy costume.

Garden update: We are suffering hemorrhagic tomato losses. Southern blight, or stem rot, has gotten us pretty badly. We had gone into this knowing it was sort of a practice garden, so I am trying not to be sad. But I guess I had really hoped for tons of practice tomatoes from my practice garden. We still have a few plants and are trying a couple of things to fix the problem for future tomato plants. Time will tell. Chris built a raised garden bed today, though, for some squash. It has sprouted nicely and is totally ready to get into the dirt and spread out a bit. The black-eyed peas are growing ten times faster than our dragon's tongue beans. I'm really excited to see how they do.

Hm. What else?

Feeling too sleepy to make much sense of deep thoughts.

I loved all the suggestions for the morning soundtrack footer. Mary? I loved your ideas and could listen to more of them for hours! And Hannah? Thanks so much for de-lurking. Hannah and I share a super-cool friend who's in China doing mission work right now. I briefly considered cancelling the whole thing once I realized that there might be an actual window into my actual self going on here. Y'all just think you know all my bizness. But really, I like to be in control of what parts of me people get to know about. Then I decided to just keep it up anyway. Why not? It's fun and it probably won't always be some cry for understanding from deep within my guts. And I think I'm going to try on "Wake-up Playlist" for size (combining Hannah's and Mary's ideas). We'll see how it goes.

Ugh. I think that's all the typing I have in me tonight.

Daily Bliss: a new garden box (oh, the possibilities) and more delicious rain
Wake-up Playlist: I know it was Jose Gonzalez and I think it was Fold

4 comments:

Mary said...

I really love reading the Christy updates. And I am always excited by what you seem to draw out of life. I think there are some of us (like me) who are positive and optimistic and find the bright side of things. And then there are people (like you) who are not only optimistic, you are positively pro-active in squeezing every drop of good and bad out of life and choosing the most beneficial of your treasures to make life into something really grand. I enjoy getting a peek into that through this blog...it's really quite lovely.

Amy Button said...

The gauzy summer wardrobe sounds divine. Can't wait to see it.

So very sorry for the tomato plants. I was so sad last summer when Chloe's pumpkin got that mold stuff (can't remember what it's called) I tried everything to save it so I know the feeling. I really hope your remaining plants are able to make it. This amateur growing stuff is fun, rewarding and incredibly frustrating at times.

claibornes corner said...

I hate the stem rot on the tomatoe's - my Daddy used to get that sometimes and he thinks it has something to do with the soil. So far mine are alright but I planted them so late I don't know when we will have ripe ones. My bush beans are growing and taking over my pot!

Christy said...

Hey Mary? (blushing, shuffling feet) Thanks.