Friday, January 15, 2010

Digital II

I had my first Digital Photography II class this past week.
Whoa.
It's going to be a challenge. I'm a little bit intimidated.

Okay, I'm a lot intimidated.

But it's so much fun to show you guys my pictures, so, I think we should just get on with it, don't you? This week's assignment is "Reflections and Shadows," which is pretty much what you would think it is. My teacher asked us to just walk around in the morning hours and afternoon hours, be observant, and take lots of pictures and come back with ten images.
Ten images?
He showed us a few inspirational photos and then let us go.
Just like that.
Whimper.
So, I borrowed the "good camera" from my sister-in-law, who is letting me rent her camera a few days a week in exchange for a few piano lessons (she felt like she was getting the better end of the deal, but I assured her that it was I who was the winner here), and I haven't stopped snapping pictures since last night.
First up are reflections. It seems like this is going to be an easier one for me than shadows, honestly. Emma has a ballet class that meets on Thursday nights, so, ballet mirrors - duh!
Here are my favorites from ballet class:








And this morning, I had a little time to myself, so I stopped at my favorite morning light spot and tried for a second round of "reflection" photos.











So...which ones from each group do you like?

PS - Know what I think would be fun? Will you take some pictures too? I won't post lecture notes or anything like that, out of respect for my professor, but I will post the week's assignment theme and I'd love to see some pictures you guys take along the same themes. Wanna play?

13 comments:

Kate said...

Squee!!!!!! (That's me squealing in delight.) Yes, I'll play along! I have really loved the photos that you put up last semester. In fact, I am trying to do some black and white with color accents on some pictures I took of Mark's sister's baby over Christmas (What program did you use, by the way?).

I love the fourth ballet picture the most. It makes my inner dancer go pitter patter. I also really like the first pond picture because of its simplicity.

Ok, so right. Yes! I will play. Check my blog for my response. This gives me a good excuse to fire my blog back up!

Hugs! Happy New Year!

60ish and Glad said...

I think the ballet would be great but I don't like the background people. I like the first one a lot. The refletions - I love those...nature me. But my favorite is the first and the seventh. You are amazing. Remember my reflection photo with Emma all dressed up in Nana's boa and heels???

Christy said...

Oh yes Mama - I remember those pictures :)
Kate - Yay!!! I can't wait to see your pictures! I used GIMP on most of my editing and a little bit of Photoshop, which I think was CS3 but now I can't remember for sure which version was on the computers at school. I like GIMP, though - it does all the stuff that Photoshop can do for the most part. The tools just look a little bit different and I had to do some Googling to figure out how to do what I wanted to do.

Kate said...

Okie dokie! Pictures posted! http://katemtsui.blogspot.com/2010/01/and-im-back.html.

There's one set that I took at a lake in Maine, which I can't find at the moment.

I am super enjoying going back through all of the pictures I have taken!!

mindy said...

oh, i love these!!! first ballet image and the close-up of the toe shoes (#4) are my faves from the first set. from the second set i heart #2 (because of the sun reflection), #3, and #6.

and i would love to participate! this looks like such a fun assignment.

Mary said...

I really do want to play. I don't promise consistency but I'll play as much as I can. I love taking pictures...I don't think I have the eye that you do. Every now and then I really like stuff I take though. It will take me a minute to find the reflection photo I'm thinking of...Oh...I have a shadow picture that I like too. I'm done already.

Christy said...

Mindy - thanks! And...you know...when you get your camera back, you can start shooting ;)
Mary - don't sell yourself short. You take beautiful photographs. No consistency is necessary, no commitment is necessary. Just post some pictures when you feel like it!

Amy Button said...

I love 4 & 9 and the one of the single leaf over the water. 9 actually looks like autumn leaves to me.

I'd love to play along. It would give me a chance to get out and take some pictures. Of course, I only have my tiny point and click so I never get exactly what I want but it sounds like a lot of fun anyway.

claibornes corner said...

ooh, number 4 ballet and number 1 on the other - I hope I have time to take some pics too with you. I need a bunch for art anyway. What I really need is a young beautiful nude model for a painting!!! Now if you can find anyone for that let me know....I'm sooooo proud you are following your passion - remember - I quit my corporate job at 30 and said Duh - I'm going to be a singer!!!!

Mary said...

Oh...I never answered which ones I like. Of the ballet pictures the one with the feet up front and center is my favorite. Then...the water...hmmm...all so tranquil, especially the first one. I do love the one...it's IMG 0079...because it's hard to tell what is real and what is reflection. I found some of my own by the way. I haven't taken any new ones but I will post what I found tomorrow.

Leslie said...

Me again! I am so glad you shared your blog address with me. . .I would be missing out! I have a Facebook account, but that's about it. I do have a few of my pictures on there, but not too many yet.

I love the 2nd and 4th ballet pictures, and the first and 2nd-to-last reflection pictures. I would love to hear Mr. Woods' comments on the ones you turn in! Maybe I will try and "play along" since I didn't get to take the class this semester : (

~Leslie

cheryl said...

Hi Christy. I'm Mary's cousin, and saw her link. I enjoyed all of your photos, but especially the one of the feet being positioned and then 0096. I LOVE that one! The simplicity makes the photo. There's a peace about water that just speaks to something deep inside. Maybe I'll play too. As I looked through Mary's, I thougth of a few of my own that might apply.

Christy said...

Hi Cheryl! I'm so glad you stopped by! I hope you *do* play - I can't wait to see your pictures :)