Saturday, September 1, 2007

Bragging

I haven't felt like writing much this week. I still don't. So, instead I'm going to brag about my kids.
As school has gotten underway, they have opportunities to sign up for various things and undergo lots of assessments. One of those assessment is a reading test which gives you a Lexile score. There is a wide range of scores possible for each grade level, but you can get a pretty good idea of where your kids sit by checking out the median score per grade level. This also helps parents pick out developmentally appropriate books (lots and lots of children's books are assigned a Lexile number). Drew's was 1190 this year. This falls pretty much at the far end of the 12th grade range, though they caution you against applying grade levels to the scores. His has always been high, but....wow! Emma took her first test this year (most first graders don't get the test right off the bat) and her Lexile is "around 700 or something." I didn't get the actual score sheet yet, but that's what she said. That puts her in the middle of the fifth grade range.
Also, Drew is captain of his Safety Patrol squad! I could not be more proud. We have always called him Mr.Safety and referred to him generally as Safety Patrol. As in "Hey! Safety Patrol! I AM putting my seat belt on. I haven't pulled out of the driveway yet. See? I'm doing it right now!" So, while this is not surprising, he has waited a long time to get to fifth grade and be on the Safety Patrol.

DAILY BLISS: The allergen-free brownies that I am about to eat (they're expensive, so it's a rare treat) and pulling out the big-volume Winnie the Pooh book and reading a bit. That really is my favorite thing to read of all.

2 comments:

Mary said...

You have brilliant, creative and good looking children. Keep bragging, they deserve it.

Christy said...

(blushing) Thank you!