Sunday, September 23, 2007

Happy Autumnal Equinox!

Yet again, my pleas for crisp, cool autumn weather have gone unnoticed. Instead, I got this:

Rain. And lots of it. But we won't let that stop our party! We set it up in the carport:

We went for a pot luck this time. With 20 people or so in attendance, I just couldn't pull off the full meal this year. I did it last year. It like ta' near kilt me.











My favorite part of the party was the chandelier. I know that sounds silly, but someone found a chandelier in their attic last year and thought I'd like it (much to my hubby's chagrin), but look how wonderful it is when stripped of its old wiring and fitted with candles!

Here's me being the princess of autumn:

And me with a toothless woodland sprite:









She wrote a poem for the day...
Fall Poem (with original spelling and line breaks)
Leaf colors
change. Trees
start loseing
leaves. Fall
is my favorite
season. pumpkins
out. Leaves dry
out. I like Fall.
Do you?
-Emma Sallee 2007

I wasn't sure if I would really enjoy the party this year. I baked and cooked all the stuff I usually make, but can no longer eat. So....I had to make myself some "special" chicken and naked sweet potato. But you know what? I still had so much fun! Baking is great fun, even if you don't get to eat it, and the party was wonderful just because so many of my dear ones were there and talking and eating and drinking wine in the candle light.

DAILY BLISS: Cinnamon tea that tastes sweet, even when it isn't, gold fairy dust on my cheeks, and that big hole in my little girl's smile. She lost that second front tooth yesterday.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Wow, looks like a great party. Rain is still Fallish and I noticed the chandelier first thing. I think that would have been my favorite thing as well. I agree that baking is fun even when you can't eat it. I have done more baking when I'm fasting than when I'm not. I just enjoy seeing others enjoy it.

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Sigh... wish I coulda been there.

claibornes corner said...

Oh, it's beautitul and everything looks delicious! Tell Emma I LOVE her poem and wish we could have been there. I posted a receipe on my blog for you!! Love, Nana

frabjouspoet said...

I loved your chandelier comments. We were driving one day this week by some import store that had a huge stainless steel spokey-looking thing (like something out of a Dr. Seuss book). My first thought was how I could get it home. My second thought was how much I think you'd approve.

Christy said...

OOOOoooo I DO approve!