Monday, October 22, 2007

Eventful

Whew! What a weekend!
On Saturday, we enjoyed the fall festival at Polk Community College, where my mom's the registrar. It was nice for her to be able to show off the grandkids and stuff. But the fair was super-cute and the kids played games and won some prizes. Emma came home with a big heart painted on her face. She also won the cake walk and was so proud. She was gracious and shared with us all. Drew decided to visit the haunted house - and Grandma took him AND Emma in. This was a learning experience. My kids are pretty sheltered. Very sheltered. It was the topic of terrified, whispered conversation for two whole days.
But after that, Emma and I went on a girl-shopping day with a couple of friends. We visited a yarn store. The clouds parted and a shaft of light shone down upon this humble and lovely purveyor of fabulous fibers. I think I even heard a chorus of angles when I opened the door and saw all the yarn that lined the walls - all the way up. I made a few final purchases for Christmas presents and Emma picked out a hank of turquoise wool. She snuggled it and held it up and all the ladies in the shop thought she was so cute. I would have looked like a first-class jerk if I'd made her put it back. Besides, all the other girls bought yarn. I didn't want her to feel left out! At least that's what I told DH when I showed him how much I'd spent.....
We visited Anthropologie and the Godiva store in Hyde Park. Joy of joys - there was a trick-or-treating festival going on and Godiva was handing out pumpkin spice truffles! I decided that one more day of eating off my prescribed diet wouldn't hurt much. Godiva never disappoints.
We had a refreshing meeting with our old pastor, ran all of our errands, made final decisions on Halloween costumes (we will have a movie star and, of course, Harry Potter) and did loads and loads of laundry. At my mom's house. Because our washer is broken.
And those are just the highlights. By the time someone asked me today how my weekend had been, I gave him a blank look and could not remember what, exactly, I had done over the weekend.
Sometimes it's nice to just go to work and sit at a desk. Unless you have to spend three or four hours talking to the post office. Then it might not be so nice.
There are lots of other things floating around in my head that I've thought of sticking here on the blog. I'll spend some time trying to catch them. If I do, I'll be back later to tell you what I found.

DAILY BLISS: Putting away laundry while listening to Death Cab for Cutie, a perfect combination if ever there was one, a perfectly ripe Asian pear and singing around the piano with my kids.

No comments: