Saturday, October 6, 2007

Now We Are Seven


My daughter's birthday is always a big day for me. We go through all of the fun of party planning and preparation and wear ourselves out. This year, Chris and I didn't actually go to bed until somewhere around 2:30 this morning. I only have one cupcake pan and didn't think about picking up another until about halfway through the 150 cupcakes that I baked. Then I had to make the frosting (it was fun, boiled frosting, the old-fashioned kind), and I put it into pastry bags fitted with various tips. I made this cake:

We cleaned and cooked and worked and worked. Then we passed out and had to roll out of bed four hours later. "Why do I do these things to myself?" I wondered. Of course, I know why. It's really fun for me. I love to celebrate just about anything. But a birthday? It's one of the best. Emma's birthday? It celebrates my life too.
We decorated aprons, had a cupcake toss (with the knitted ones, of course) and a baking relay race (this involved sugar and wooden spoons...):


Here's the cupcake-decorating station, before and after:











An example of the confectionary greatness:


By 11:00 AM, candles had been blown out, presents had been opened, and 12 sticky, sweaty girls had been sent home with their cupcakes in tow.
Then we moved on to Grandma's present. Another outdoor, sweaty affair on this muggy, uncomfortable day. But, no matter. Emma went to ride a Paso Fino horse. She got to brush him and give him treats, help give him a bath and ride around and around the house on him. About the third time around, we asked her if she was ready to get down. "No way!" she said. "This is my best birthday EVER!" And she practiced her new "woah!" skill over and over again. The horse didn't seem to mind....
Upon our return home, I had to run out and pick up those last couple of presents that just never were purchased (with money my in-laws sent....so I had to take care of it!) and I pulled in the driveway with just enough spare time to shower and get ready for birthday dinner out with the family. She picked Chili's. I'm not exactly sure why. But.....OK. So, she got to wear a new outfit (what girl doesn't love that on her birthday?) and open more presents:






And her favorite? A giant "diamond" from Grampy.
Sweetie, when a man wants to marry you, he has to first give you a diamond bigger than the one from your Grampy. OK?





Deep breath.
When we finally got into the car to go home, Chris said, "Well, we made it through the day." Oh yes. I suddenly remembered. That's why this day is also special for me. Seven years ago, I almost didn't make it through the day. And neither did Emma. Birthday parties always make us busy. Sometimes, I'm busy enough to almost forget. But....I'm so glad to be alive. And I'm so glad that God handed this little girl to our family.

DAILY BLISS: Since all of this post was so blissful, we'll go with something quirky. Smashing Pumpkins song "Today" came on the radio and I decided it wasn't suiting my mood, so I flipped the dial to the next station. Guess what? The Beatles song "Yesterday" was playing on the next station over! Ha!

2 comments:

Mary said...

Wow! What a marathon. Owen and Emma share this birthday you may remember and we had our own party, but it wasn't nearly as elaborate. He did watch Star Wars (Episode 4) for the first time with his daddy so that's pretty memorable.

Christy said...

Of course I remember! I will never forget calling you in the middle of our princess dress-up tea party and telling you that, from this point on, we would always know what was going on at each other's houses on this day. Birthday parties.
The first Star Wars viewing! What a milestone in a boy's life :) Just wait - our boy knows more trivia and facts about those movies than his daddy does - almost. But those ultimate geek moments? They're priceless!