Sunday, November 25, 2007

As Good As It's Going To Get

Well, I got Emma's room clean anyway. My room is where we always stuff things as we clean up. "Just put it in our room," we say, "and we'll deal with it later." The problem is, I'm sure, obvious - we never get around to cleaning up our room. Then the stuff kind of migrates back to the rest of the house. Secretly. In the middle of the night.
So, I may have to allow myself to get all Christmas-y even without a completely clean house.
The decorating and outdoor lighting has taken place now, and that should help with the ol' Christmas spirit. The boys had their annual light ritual, which always involves dinner at Rib Crib and a trip to Home Depot at the end of the day. My dad then buys them all a new toy, er, tool. They go from house to house and put all the Christmas lights up. Here they are at work on my little house:













And here is a Santa koozie in action (if you are underage or do not want beer, they work nicely on root beer bottles and water bottles too):


Alas, work and school begin again tomorrow. So I bid you goodnight.

DAILY BLISS: My daddy bought me a set of animated deer for my yard. I have desperately wanted them for, maybe, 5 years. So, I squealed a lot and even wore a shirt with a reindeer on it in celebration of the blessed event. Mr. Buck is out there turning his head back and forth, surveying the land for potential danger. He is being watchful and allowing his wife, Doe, to have a nibble of the lovely lantana patch they have happened upon. She lifts her head up and down, declaring to him what a tasty treat this is.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Your life is full of neat-o rituals. I told Kris the other day we need to start some traditions. As family oriented as both of our families are, we are also very practical and have had little use for rituals...I would love to change that for my boys.

claibornes corner said...

I want to see a photo of the deer - how cute is that going to be???

Christy said...

Mary, sometimes I think we have too many rituals! But the truth is, those are the little things that make life special. My mom worked really hard to provide those things for us, and looking back, I realize that they made for a wonderful childhood. So, I've tried really hard to incorporate the ones I love from my own childhood and some that we've invented on our own. I hope you do incorporate some ritual into your family life - I'd love to hear your ideas! Or...if you need any....I'm chock full of ideas:)
Nana, reindeer photos coming up shortly!

frabjouspoet said...

I LOVE Christmas lights. In fact, one of my favorite gifts from Alan was when he decorated our old apartment in Christmas lights one night while I was at school. In the middle of March. I can never go too far on the lights. I don't think we'll be doing anything much at our new place this year (long story), but I am still waiting to drive around and see what others have done. Your house is adorable!