Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Checking Out

This is me, checking out for a bit. We leave for our mini vacation on Saturday. But I have oh-so-much to do before then. I've been going crazy at work trying to get ahead before I go. I ended up having to publish three Sunday bulletins, a Thanksgiving worship bulletin, the monthly newsletter, a small order of service for a meeting and the first Wednesday service bulletin for Advent all in the last two weeks. Most of you worship outside the realm of liturgical churches. A Sunday bulletin is usually 20-24 pages long (that is, however, half a legal-sized paper per page). They print everything in there - songs, scripture, and all of that responsive reading stuff that traditional churches do (which I love, by the way).
So anyway, work has been busy and I have managed to overcommit myself (surprise!) knitting-wise. I got too excited and promised myself I'd make too many things. Most of this I still have time to finish before Christmas. However, some of it needs to be finished by Saturday. It's that part that's killing me.
I have an overdue library book that I haven't had time to read, and a couple of borrowed books that are one or two chapters in that are weighing heavily on my conscience, yet I have ordered and committed to read yet another book.
I don't know what's wrong with me.
My next-to-last test results from the doctor came back to me today. The test said my body chemistry indicated prolonged periods of stress. Gee. Ya think? Much of it is probably self-imposed. We will have to see which of Kiki's happy hobbies she has to give up in order to reduce stress. I haven't been able to pick one yet.
Anyway, I got my hair cut today. Nothing drastic. Just a nice trim. I took some pictures, but I didn't like any of them. I'm picky.
Also, this morning I stopped (at my aunt's bidding) to take a picture of those sunflowers I mentioned in the last post. I stopped on a dangerously fast road, placing myself in utter peril, and waded through the wet grass on the shoulder to get close enough for a shot. I'm sure that all the truckers that share this commute with me thought it was pretty funny - me out there in a pretty secretary dress and peep-toe sling-backs with bows on the toes, wading through the grass. I was blissfully taking pictures until a word scrolled across my mind. Does anybody else do this? I have, like, closed captioning in my head. I actually see text when I think. I know - probably nobody else does. Anyway, it was like a scrolling marqee that read "snakes." Just like that and not even capitalized. It did seem like a good place for them to hide, so I hitched up my skirt and trotted back to the car. No harm done. Here's a peek:



I'm going to try for a closer shot tomorrow, maybe. There seems to be a side road that will get me to the other side of the drainage ditch. The colors on those flowers are just magnificent. If I get a good shot or two, I'll share. (And Nana, if you want the full-sized versions of these and other shots, just let me know.) Otherwise, you'll probably not see me until well into next week.

Happy Thanksgiving!

DAILY BLISS: there really are things wrong with me - i'm not crazy - and they can be fixed and having my hair shampooed by a professional

PS
Scarf "A" was overwhelmingly voted for and it was, in fact, the one I was leaning toward. My scarf "B" fan needn't worry - it will be knitted and given a fine home in due time. In fact, it will likely reside with me as I simply love the pattern. I'll leave www.mindysschristmasscarf.blogspot.com up for a little while longer in case any of you care enough to check out the scarf that won.....then I'm going to just delete it.

4 comments:

claibornes corner said...

Oh my dear dear Christy - the photos are beautiful and I'll get them next week - I still say we may go out there - but I hate snakes. You are so sweet and I will have to paint you a sunflower! Have a wonderful mountain trip (suposed to get to 30 tomorrow night here) and we'll see you on Wednesday. Be safe and wave to us as you come by! Nana
PS: Uncle Kenny said can you say zoom zoom zoom (he actually sang the song) - this was about the snakes!

Christy said...

Oooo- Lovely weather! And yes, we'll wave as we drive by:)
I'm not sure how singing the Mazda commercial at the snakes will work, but I'm going to give it a try next time....silly Uncle Kenny:)

frabjouspoet said...

It's the overdue library book that would really get to me. :) I do the same thing, getting myself in over my head (even with fun things).

I hope you have a restful vacation.

Mary said...

I think in pictures a lot but not in scrolling text. I've never heard that one. I like it though...I'll probably talk about it to other people, because it's so darn interesting.

I love having my hair shampooed!