Monday, November 5, 2007

Playing Outside

I really do like Mondays. Not for the same reasons my friend Becky loves Mondays, though. She loves the fresh start and productivity that the day offers. I love the two hours of "me" time between being done with work and picking the kids up after chess club.
Usually, that time is taken up by something that I have to do, an errand or whatnot. But today, I wanted to play outside. So I just decided to.
I came home from work, put on some jeans and my polka dot open-toed wonder shoes, grabbed something to knit, and headed to the lake. I almost went for the lake in town that has been turned into a park and sits adjacent to the botanical gardens. I do like that lake. But instead, I went to the lake with all the ducks and swans. I found a bench that wasn't too close to the homeless guys congregating at the east end of the lake, and settled in with my knitting.
I briefly considered the fact that I should just be unplugged and enjoy the sounds of nature. There was a young-ish swan sitting next to my bench. Every now and again, he was throwing his head back and honking at me. A duck on the opposite side of the joke laughed and laughed at some duck joke I wasn't privy to (it was probably the one about how many mallards it takes to change a light bulb) and a fish or two jumped and made happy circles in the surface of the water. But if I remained unplugged, that is, if I didn't turn on my iPod, I would be left alone with my thoughts.
There are times that I just know it's best to avoid myself. This was one of them. So, since I was knitting up one of those trash-tastic Santa beer koozies, I zipped my iPod out and went straight for Led Zeppelin. It just seemed appropriate to the project.
It was one hour of complete, mindless bliss.
Before I left, though, I caught sight of the cloudless sky and decided to put it all away. Just one deep breath and a slightly long look at the sky was enough to feel I'd at least paid attention to my surroundings, and I heaved myself up off the bench and headed to get the kids.
I think this may become a ritual. Robert Plant not included.

DAILY BLISS: Drew quoting Napoleon Dynamite at a perfectly appropriate moment talking out loud to that swan. I bet even the homeless guys thought I was nuts.

7 comments:

Amy Button said...

I love that lake, especially this time of year. *sigh*

Sandy said...

Hi, I found your blog through Rebecca's blog. Thanks for painting that beautiful picture for me. :D I didn't get to go outside much today, much too busy as usual. I bet your lake is gorgeous though. I love reading your blog and I so enjoy my Kiki's Suds I bought at Spa Day in Loranger, LA. You make great products. :D

60ish and Glad said...

Ahh! I love it. Think I will create my own outdoor moment...there is a walking park about 10 minutes from work. Beautiful overhanging trees and interesting signs like "Dangerous Curve ahead"(Who runs that fast?) When I remember my tennis shoes - I like to walk for 30 minutes...this is a good day for it and I remembered my shoes

Christy said...

Hi Sandy, welcome! I'm glad you stopped by and I'm especially glad you like the stuff I make ;) That always makes me feel good - I make and write whatever my heart wants to do, so it's always like putting a little bit of yourself out there. Knowing that someone enjoys it makes it worth the risk!

Mary said...

Sounds like a lovely break.

claibornes corner said...

That sounds like such a great moment - I think I need one! Nana

frabjouspoet said...

Ooo...I used to live over on Cumberland and that lake was my daily ritual. You don't know how many times I would walk that lake at all times of the day and night or how many times I just found a bench and lost myself there. It's one of those rare places where you can find some solitude.