Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Home Stretch

The last concert/event of the school year was tonight! Yay! I can see the end from here - and it may inspire me to make it through the next week. What a welcome feeling on a Tuesday that seemed like a Friday. I sure hope tomorrow doesn't feel like Saturday. That would be pretty sucky when I have to go to work anyway.
So, tonight was the annual Spring Concert, with the handbells, the beginner band, the middle school band and the elementary chorus all performing. I really enjoyed it! Andrew was singing in the chorus - he'll be in beginner band next year.
I just love seeing kids enjoying the gift of music! Middle school and high school music programs were such a defining force in my own life. I can't believe I'm watching my son walk through the same doors.
He certainly can't be old enough for this!
I shook hands with the band director, discussed instrument rental contracts and wondered what kind of band mom I'd be.
I certainly can't be old enough to be a band mom! Yikes!
Maybe I'll be the mom that lets my kids be independent and watches from the sidelines. Maybe I'll be that pushy mom that's always sure my kid is the best one out there - because I went out front and cleared the path for them. Maybe I'll be the nice mom who brings sodas to practice and drives all the kids to concerts and stuff. Hm. We'll see. I think this is the first time I can say "it's come full circle" about something in my life. Well, at least the ends of the circle are about to meet. I know that'll happen more and more as I age, but I'm rather taken by this first one. It's an interesting thing to stop and examine as objectively as possible.
So many of my friends have small children yet. I can't say I didn't get an early start, but it is an odd feeling to be trekking out ahead of the parenting pack. I got un-invited to my first birthday party. He asked if I was going. I said, "well, do you want me to go?" I would if he did. He said, "not really." Oh. Okay.
And really, it is okay. My feelings aren't hurt (not deeply, anyway), but it made me pause for a minute. I'm not ready for this. But life doesn't give you a chance to be ready.

DAILY BLISS: Emma's curly hair, enjoying friends' baby stories without feeling like I need another baby, Peter Bjorn and John's "Young Folks" song. People just don't whistle enough anymore.

4 comments:

60ish and Glad said...

Full circle for me too. I remembe a little duet with Christy and Jon at the piano. Then Christy played her solo in her cute little purple plaid dress with ribbons in her hair. I remember my one and only recital - I banged my song and stomped off the stage. I sure showed my Mom that I didn't want to play in a recital. She clapped and cheered anyway. My three brothers jumped up from their slunk (is that a word) down positions and whistled and cheered. I said I would never make my daughter do this...but she wanted to.

mindy said...

DANG IT!!! I completely forgot about the Spring Concert! It seems if I'm notified about things too far in advance I tend to forget about them....but at least I remembered Drew's piano recital, right? I really do apologize...I had every intention of being there. :( I feel like a horrible aunt now....*sigh*

Christy said...

'Sokay Mindy! I didn't do the last-minute round of phone calls to remind everybody either. I just didn't have time. Chris and I were talking about that and I knew that nobody would remember:) But Dad came and Gma and Gpa came too, so - it was quite fine!

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

My vote is for the nice mom who brings sodas. Except you'll bring something even cooler... like Starbucks... or soy chai lattes!! I can't imagine you on the sidelines uninvolved, but pushy doesn't work, either. Yeah... it hasta be nice mom.

I miss you today.
Becky