Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Recital



This was Andrew's big night. He was in a recital last year, too, but he was still pretty nervous this time around. I was always nervous about recitals, concerts, and anything else on a stage too. It was paralyzing sometimes - I would shake uncontrollably, and then when I left the stage, my whole body turned into jello for a while. I would imagine that's a little bit like how he felt, from the look on his face.
It's a really different experience watching your kid perform. On the one hand, there's a little piece of me - my heart to be precise - parading out on that stage. I have absolutely no control over the results. I was nearly as nervous waiting for his turn as I always was for myself. You really want them to do well, so the other parents know what a fabulous mother you are - how superior your genes are and all that. You also want them to perform well so that they get that sense of accomplishment, having performed well. There's nothing like that feeling! All your hopes are tempered by fear. The fear that they will mess up or throw up. The fear that you will be embarrassed, and even worse, the fear that they will be embarrassed. That would honestly be worse for me
I brought my little homemade oatmeal cookies on a plate and we took our seats. We were joined by a hodgepodge of other family members - an aunt-less uncle and an uncle-less aunt, and my grandparents. We agonized through the second graders and the early third graders. Toward the end of the third grade roster, some of the kids added their left hand to the keys. You only then begin to realize how impressive that really is.
Drew held a place of honor - last in the fourth grade to play. That means he's the top fourth grader! She only teaches through fifth grade at the school and told him that he will likely have the honor of the last slot of the recital next year! That's pretty big news (my boy!).
Anyway, he did really well. His piece was obviously more complicated than the kids that came before him. He paused for a note or two in the middle of the song, but all in all, pulled it off well. Especially considering how nervous he looked! He also got a certificate for learning the whole set of flash cards for the year, and one for learning more than 35 songs. Up next, Chopin's Revolutionary Etude! Maybe he can conquer that beast - I never quite did! Wait....not that I'm trying to live vicariously...oh, man.

DAILY BLISS: the way my boy looks in navy pants and a tucked-in, button-up shirt; finally eating one of those cookies I made yesterday, and knowing that my little boxes got to New Orleans in good shape today!

<3 Christy

2 comments:

Mary said...

Wow! Andrew is truly a great kid. Emma is too, for that matter. You do have much to be proud of. God is so kind to us to honour us with kids who inherit our best.

frabjouspoet said...

I remember all too well the nervousness of recitals.