Monday, May 7, 2007

Inheritance

We have had the strangest dip in temperature today. Lovely rain rolled through last night - thunder and all - kicking up the dry dust. And today, it is windy and gorgeously cool. Very strange for May, but I will take it!
My parents brought home some cool stuff for me from my grandparents' house in Wisconsin yesterday. I got a vintage (late fifties - early sixties) Handy Hannah blue hair blow dryer, a load of records and a few of grandma's sleeveless, cotton, button-up shirts (I mentioned those in the blog right after she passed away - somebody must have read it!). The records are a real treasure to me. Music and history are the things that help me feel connected to my grandpa. He played trombone in a swing band back in the day. At any rate, it's nice to know the feeling is mutual. He's not one to say much about it, but sending me a Bing Crosby White Christmas/God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen 78 is saying enough! I also got a whole set of one of my favorites - Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. I know it's weird, but I just love that music, and I don't claim to be normal! Kay Starr, Patti Paige, Nat King Cole.....you name it. It's all there! I burst into ridiculous sobs when my dad called me from the airport and told me what he'd brought for me.
Anyway, I put the cute little powder-blue hair dryer on display in my vintage-style bathroom, buttoned up a yellow polka-dot shirt, and threw my yellow-flowered apron over my head. I stood by the stove with no shoes on stirring the spaghetti, and then walked out on the back porch to lean over the rail and feel the wind. Moments like that don't come every day, but I believe that when they do, everything else should be neglected in favor of eating them up!

DAILY BLISS: powering through a crazy pile of paperwork, berry-flavored Mike-and-Ikes, and headbands that help you look put-together even when you are SO not.

<3 Christy

2 comments:

frabjouspoet said...

I'm with you on the music. As soon as I saw you mention records, I wondered if Herb Alpert was in the collection!

Christy said...

Hee hee! We could get together and do goofy dances to Herb Alpert - that would be fun.