Sunday, February 17, 2008

Some Passing Afternoon

I wish I could bottle up this afternoon and send a little bit of it to each of you. This is the best time of year to be living where I do. Most of the rest of the year, I pine to be living somewhere else, but from January through March, I am absolutely content right where I am.
The sky is a deep shade of blue, the kind that other people get in the fall. Only, instead of being 50 or 60 degrees outside, it's 75 and there is the lightest kiss of breeze. Nothing to really ruffle your bangs up, though. It's just enough breeze to make windchimes quiver and to make your skin feel cool. The sunlight is all gold and sweet.
All of my windows are open this afternoon and I have been painting (an endless task, I am beginning to believe) my porch - the last coat on the porch floor. There will be details to finish in the coming weeks, but the biggest part of the job is now done.
I have some folk music (Iron & Wine) in my ears and green paint from my fingernails to my shoulders.
These are all good things by themselves, and each in their own right is enough to lift the spirits of a girl like me. But combined? They have made for an afternoon of bliss. And I wish I could share it. But it isn't really something you can catch and pass on.
From my favorite Iron and Wine song, Passing Afternoon,
"There are times that walk from you like some passing afternoon..."

4 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing what you could of your afternoon. It sounds wonderful.

Amy Button said...

I too, love FL this time of year and in the fall. Sounds dreamy.

nate said...

dude. almost daily i find myself saying to the nearest person, "i can't believe i get to live here."

ps - nice post. way to connect the moment, the song, and the title. just for that i'm cueing passing afternoon on my itunes right now.

Christy said...

Thanks Nate!