Friday, February 15, 2008

The Whizard

On my way home today, I saw an empty wheelchair sitting at a busy intersection (just past Harden and Ariana for you Lakelanders). It had a green cushion sitting in it, and it brought to mind the video I'd seen of the deputy that dumped a quadriplegic man out of his wheelchair over in Tampa, probably because the man in the wheelchair was wearing a green shirt. Since the chair was empty, and since my brain had quickly made that association, I presumed that this must be some kind of a protest. So I looked around for the protesters.
Then I saw a guy standing just off the side of the road. I started looking for protest signs or another indication of what must be going on.
Bear in mind that this all happened in a matter of three seconds.
Then it hit me. This man's back is facing the road.
And it became clear to me that this was just a homeless man taking a piss at a busy intersection during rush hour. Aha.

5 comments:

60ish and Glad said...

Well I just caught up on your blog. I see when you are busy and stressed - you write!! Well I am glad you had the "joy" Reminds me of walking in downtown Detroit once and thinking it odd that I could see the tops of the socks of the man in the overcoat walking toward me. Then- as it seemed- in slow motion I raised my eyes to see who would dress so badly as he flashed his coat open. The friend I was with had a classic. She simple said, "That's not very impressive!" And we walked on.

Mary said...

Aren't you glad you could be there to witness it?

Christy said...

Mom - that has never failed to be one of my favorite stories!

claibornes corner said...

I was walking in New York City with my MOTHER and on the sidewalk was a guy wagging his willy! My mother had her mouth wide open and I said Just keep walking - do NOT stop and look!!!! Now we have all encountered the "Willy Wag"!!!!

Amy Button said...

That is incredibly disturbing- your story and your families-gaaa. I have to say that I'm thankful to have missed that.