Friday, February 22, 2008

W.C.

Boy am I ready for the weekend! Not that it will be entirely relaxing, but we have lots of fun stuff to do - so it'll be busy in a good way.
This afternoon, Emma and I laid around on the porch and wrote a story. I'd been promising her that we would.
She saw the initials W.C. somewhere and decided they stood for William Cockatiel. I decided that he sounded like a jaunty sort of fellow who might wear a fedora. It kind of went on from there and I told her we'd catch it all on paper soon. This seemed like the perfect day to do so, what with the wind blowing and the warm sun shining.
So, the story starts out:

"W.C. That stands for William Cockatiel," is what he says when he is introduced to someone new. William is a fancy sort of bird who prefers to use his initials instead of his name. He also is in the habit of wearing a fedora.
He owns a tiny trench coat, but his wings don't fit nicely into the sleeves, so he never wears it. It hangs permanently from the end of the highest perch in his cage.

The story continues as W.C. is taken with the notion of hosting a party for all of his neighborhood bird friends. The whippoorwill was Emma's favorite guest to create. She learned about them in school this week. We decided he was the life of the party, regaling the guests with wild, loud tales of his most recent seasonal migration.
Anyway, I was thinking of trying this one out on Blurb, you know, just for funsies, so we could have a real book of the story we wrote. It's probably more trouble than it's worth. But if I do it, you can order a copy too, Mom (if I understand it correctly....). I'll let you know if it ever happens! Because, let's be honest here, it probably won't.

DAILY BLISS: Tax return, baby!

5 comments:

Mary said...

Love it.

60ish and Glad said...

If it does - of course I will buy one. And Tax return bliss! Our whoopie was more like a whoop-oh-h-h. We get $4.00 back. I told them to just keep it for the trouble.

claibornes corner said...

Tax Return????? Has that Uncle Kenny been holding out on me again!!! Can't wait for the book and the artwork!

Amy Button said...

That is so sweet. Kudos to you for helping her to develop that gift.

Yay, tax return!

frabjouspoet said...

And see, everytime I hear W.C. I think of The Diary of Anne Frank where they call the bathroom the W.C. I love Emma's story.