Monday, October 13, 2008

Just Monday

I had to work today, so I didn't get to stay home and make stuff. Keeping my Making Monday all to myself is proving to be difficult.
But, if I had been home, I would have worked on one of two Christmas projects I have on the knitting needles right now. I'm not super-impressed with either one yet. One is super-delicate lace yarn and I'm a little worried that it's too delicate. It's got a sweet, fuzzy "halo" (that means fluffy fuzz) but I hope it just stays looking soft and doesn't felt. It's wool. Wool turns into felt if it gets agitated.
I turn into funny things when I get agitated too.
On the plus side, though, I did finish the first Christmas present over the weekend. Of course, in my mind, everyone is getting something handmade - sewn, knit, or lotioned and maybe even soaped. I still hold out hope that I'll make soap soon. But it's not like you can just buy lye at Target or something.
Anyway, that's one down out of...
Hold on....
I'm counting....
Eleven essential ones and...
um....
six other potential ones.
Groan. I hadn't really counted it up before. That looks impossible. I may resort to buying things that other people handmade. No one will ever know.
It was really windy today and maybe a tad cooler than it has been. I mean by two or three degrees.
So I made chili in my dutch oven and some egg-free, dairy-free cornbread. It was actually very tasty.
I have always expressed myself in the kitchen. Let's face it, it's an affordable art form, you know? There are those of us who are creative and just don't have the means to invest in hobbies per se....and the kitchen is a great place for us to go and work it all out.
But this whole mess of food allergy stuff has put my kitchen fun...uh....on the back burner.
Sorry about that one.
Anyway, it's really enjoyable to start experimenting with ways to make things I used to love okay for me to eat. Some are disastrous, but some are wonderful.
I'm going to dig into one of those Christmas presents tonight, though, and see if I can't make myself feel a little happier about it. If not, it's getting frogged. Moving backward on Christmas crafting seems like a bad idea right now. Here's hoping...

DAILY BLISS: homemade caramel sauce on apple slices (also dairy-free) and my cute new secretary suit - Chris said I looked like I Meant Business.

4 comments:

Amy Button said...

Sorry about your Monday. With the holidays approaching it will probably be difficult to hang on to them- busy church stuff and all.

I admire your kitchen experimentiness (probably not a word). I should probably pull out my oven mitts and see what I can come up with too. Although I can honestly say in a million years I'd never have come up with pumpkin ravioli....good one.

claibornes corner said...

I's like to see a photo of that "Business Suit"!!

Christy said...

Amy - I'm sure I saw it on Food Network and it was in the back of my head. There is no way I would have come up with it myself! And I think you'd have great fun experimenting in the kitchen :)
Nana - Ok, ok. I'll take a photo if you insist! Just wait until I have a good hair day and charged-up batteries in my camera. Both on the same day, 'k?

Mary said...

I like to create art in the kitchen, but until it is a little more appreciated by the critics who live here...I'll stick to simple edibles for a while. When alone or having the girls over it's a different story.