Friday, October 3, 2008

Just Visiting - Part 3

Chris' mom and dad got new furniture right before our visit, and I was pleased to find that they had a brand new Hokey Pokey chair. You know the kind? You can put your "whole self in?"
I spent a lot of my vacation time sitting in the Hokey Pokey chair in stunned silence, due to all I had tried to get done before we left, and I hit the ground running as soon as we got back home, too. Yesterday was one of those days. I found myself skimming along the surface tension of my life, moving fast so I didn't go under. But my burbling, gurgling insides kept wanting to claw their way up my throat, making it sting and making my eyes water a little bit. I was really wondering what in the world I was doing and why I couldn't let go of some of the things that make me busy. Then "Dust in in the Wind" (Kansas) came on the radio and I had to change the station fast. Because, even though it was a sappy and cheese-tastic song, it was also unnervingly perfect the moment and it threatened to undo me entirely and leave me as a blubbering mess, sitting in carline with all the other Minivan Mommies wondering what was wrong with that weirdo in the green Cadillac.
So, today I am looking forward to Sunday afternoon. The birthday party that was supposed to be easy (and I made it much more difficult because I was thinking "Hey - this is an easy party. Why don't I just put a little more effort into the cake and decorations?") will be over and I can spend the afternoon with Emma in the kitchen, making the perfect cake for her actual birthday. The cake I had planned for the party. I determined last night, very late, that I will have to buy a party cake from Publix. But the decorations will be absolutely adorable! So there, Universe. It's going to all work out fine.
Anyway, let's all feel happy, shall we? What makes us happy? More vacation photos of adorable children, that's what!
We went to an apple orchard to take pictures of the cousins together. Then we found out that they closed the orchard, but still had a market open. We bought apples and cider and the market girl even gave me a basket (she overheard me wondering if I could buy their display baskets) for free! Free stuff is absolutely inspiring to a Scottish girl like me. So we gathered up our apples and a quilt and headed over to the river instead. We found a tree, parked the kids on the quilt and I got to take a few pictures.








And when we were done, I had to say hello to Beauty. He was waiting ever so patiently for someone to need a carriage ride. Alas, I could not afford to employ him, but I did have a basket on my arm that smelled awfully nice to a hard-working horse. With permission, I gave him a fresh, sweet apple treat.

We also had a birthday party for Emma while we were up there. The whole gang came for hamburgers and cake and, of course, presents!




2 comments:

frabjouspoet said...

Um...okay...so I am so glad to know that someone else in the universe can completely fall apart at the sound of "Dust in the Wind". Sure, it's a cheesy song, but the whole concept sucks me into a black hole. (Five for Fighting's "100 Years" also does it for me.)

60ish and Glad said...

I love all the photos. You are talented indeed. Glad you had funny.