Monday, March 9, 2009

Weekend Extravaganza

Whew. We had almost too much fun this weekend.
The Historic Homes Workshop was really great. We went to classes on local gardening and building codes and design guidelines and we got tons of swag too - compact fluorescent light bulbs, book marks, weatherstripping and other stuff. My head is really so full of information right now that it could split open.
So, we came home and built one of the three structures we've planned for hanging our upside-down tomatoes and veggies, did some yard work, and drew up some of our ideas for an addition. Next step, I guess, is seeing an architect. We shall see. I'm still not confident it's something we'll be able to afford, but I'm hoping that, if we keep it simple, things will work out.
I got my hair cut too. I tried to take some pictures, but they were really awful. I mean, really. So I'll try again later on that. I sat in the chair and told my hair dresser that I was bored with my hair. I either wanted to grow it back out and have some long, 1960's-style bangs or that I wanted to do a pixie cut. He laughed at me and we went more toward the pixie cut end of things. You know it's going to be good when your hairdresser says, with scissors flying, "This is going to be soooo cute!" And it is, if I do say so m'self.
Sunday saw a lively discussion at church that didn't even give us the opportunity to go into what we'd had planned, but that's okay. Sometimes, conversation sparks and you just go with it. And I love asking questions that may or may not have anything to do with what I really think, but provide a jumping-off point for good discussion.
One more thing - that shirt I finished for Emma:


I have found that, for simple things, I just do better without a pattern. And we all know that if I start with a pattern, I'm going to change it anyway, which often makes for just as much frustration as making something up myself. I think this is my first project that I'm really happy with. I made a couple of dresses and skirts last year, but they all have something about them that's not-quite-right, but that I'm not going to take the time to fix either. That means I only wear them (or have Emma wear them) during a Laundry Crisis. I still think I'll take up the shoulders of this pattern, maybe, a half-inch.
I just traced the top of a shirt she already had that fit her well and cut off the piece of paper (that I'm using as a pattern) where I wanted to add the rest of the shirt. I did a rolled-edge hem around the top and added a pleat right in the middle of the bottom piece. The pleat was just made however deep it needed to be for all the side seams to match up with each other. And poof. A shirt.
All in all, a jam-packed, super-fun weekend for our family.
And this week might be just the same. My boss is gone on vacation. Yippee! That means I'll be knitting at my desk.

DAILY BLISS: the sense of hope that I seem to find in planning a garden - I'm sure that's pretty universal among gardeners, but I'm new at this. it's surprising me.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I'm so happy for your garden excitement. I've always wanted to start a garden but I do not have a lot of support in that passion.

Amy Button said...

I love the shirt- too cute.

I've never heard of upside down gardening...I'll have to look into it. I always want to do something elaborate but realistically can't afford all the equipment and such that it would take to make it a reality. My top picks are blueberry bushes, raspberry bushes (very practical and yummy) and fruit trees. Mabye I'll get to the point one day where I can plant everything I want to :) Good luck with your gardening.