Thursday, July 5, 2007

Catching Up A Little

We're dog-sitting for my parents right now, so I'm not near my camera and I can't post any photos. I thought I'd bring it over tonight so I could put pictures up and catch up with stories, but I did not remember to do it. Typical.
I'll just add photos later, I guess.
We had a nice 4th of July - it was very quiet and subdued in comparison to other years. Generally, I go all out and have a real Americana-style shindig. One year we had a backyard party where the kids decorated patriotic cupcakes and had a shaving-cream-beard contest (the kids all got to squirt their dads with shaving cream). Sometimes we get the whole family and several friends together and grill out some ribs and have a big party/lots of beer. This year, not so much.
So, I felt like a pretty crappy mom yesterday when we plunked our little Pillsbury flag-stamped cookies on a pan and stuck them in the oven. Not anywhere close to my traditional homemade star-shaped biscuits topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream (NEVER the kind from the can). Sigh. Some of that is because I can't eat that stuff anymore, but mostly it's because I didn't have time. I hate that I didn't have time.
Anyway, we did grill out, just the four of us. And we bought a few little fireworks and some giant sparklers. We had those Pillsbury cookies (well, Chris and the kids did anyway) and we watched a movie because it was so rainy outside.
We're getting ready for Drew's birthday party on Saturday. I hope it'll be a little better than the 4th, but.....we'll see what I can pull off.
I don't mean for this to be such a complaining post. I know that I'm a good mom and all that. It's just that I hate the loss of the fun stuff that happens when you're not a stay-home mom. I like my job just fine - if you've got to work it's a good place to be. I even have a friend at work, which was completely unexpected. It just sucks that I can't do all the fun stuff I used to do.
On a lighter note, I finished my first knitting project and started on another. I'm totally into this knitting thing. I bought some yarn for the first time and found that it was very difficult for me to leave all that clearance yarn in the bins and only walk out with what I need for the current project. I guess I have a new hobby. I'll post a photo of Emma in the wrap I made for her....probably tomorrow.

DAILY BLISS: taking the time to fix my hair today and the joy of a pool and cable tv (while we dog-sit at my parents' house)

3 comments:

Mary said...

Sounds like just the kind of fourth we had. I am a stay at home mom, but pregnancy inhibits a lot. I am not the go-getter you are either. You should be quite proud of all that you squeeze into a day. I don't know where you get the energy.

Christy said...

HaHa! The energy comes from never cleaning my house:) When I was pregnant, I didn't do ANYTHING....so, you know....
I think I just love the freedom that comes from being home and I miss it - the freedom to do what I love to do, whatever that may be in the moment! Plus, once you are done with diapers and car seats, life gets so much easier. You are so much more easily able to squeeze stuff into your day.

Mary said...

I can totally understand that. Before kids when I worked I felt that stifled feeling. Like, I would have loved to do laundry just because I was doing it for me and not for a boss. I had good bosses, but I didn't feel free, just like you said.