Monday, July 16, 2007

Life

This day, for me, has seen both ends of the spectrum of life.
I'm gonna be an Auntie! I found out to my joy that I am getting a nephew - the first one. So, Emma will remain the only female born into my husband's family for the last 40 years. Aunt Kiki has a nice ring to it...
But I also found out that my grandpa's not doing well. Last week, his doctor did an MRI and found masses all through his body - lungs, lymph nodes, organs, bones...there hasn't been a biopsy, but they are presuming the obvious. Then he had (again, presumably) a stroke yesterday. With no change in his condition today, the family is once again headed up north. He's still with us, but, we really don't know how long he will be.
When I lean toward the melodramatic, it gets pretty ugly. So I will refrain from offering philosophy or bad poetry. It is just an oddity to find a day that contains reminders of how precious life is, from both sides of the coin.

DAILY BLISS: train whistles and new soap

4 comments:

frabjouspoet said...

Well, Aunt Kiki, how exciting! Being an Auntie is so much fun; it's such a different relationship with the kids. I'm constantly amazed at the extremes of life. My cousin was over at my house this weekend and we played with her new baby while reminiscing about our own grandfather (whom we miss dearly).

Mary said...

Both of my grandfathers passed away when I was 7 and 8 years old so I didn't have a lot of time to get to know them. My grandmothers were very sweet but I think there must be something very special about grandpas and granddaughters. I will pray for your family and rejoice with you for the new life you get to anticipate and the great memories I know you must have.

Christy said...

Thanks girls!

Large said...

I came across your blog randomly, but after reading about your grandpa, I thought maybe I'd share a little. I just lost my grandpa, a little over a month ago to cancer. He'd been sick for almost 2 yrs, and it was a really rough time for our family, I ask that god give you strength in this time of need, that instead of pulling away from each other, your family embraces each other, good luck Christy.