Monday, July 2, 2007

More Feathered Friends

We picked up Drew's birthday present this past Saturday (a week early) and you will recall, I'm sure, my mother bought him a bird. I erroneously called it a parakeet. It is, in fact, a cockatiel. Hope I spelled that right. I'm not going to bother checking.
We got suckered into buying two of them. This is why I NEVER visit the SPCA. I would take all of the animals home with me, and if I find that I have to leave some of them behind, I will be depressed for possibly a year.
Anyway, Drew's bird is still just a baby. He is pure white. His name is Hedwig. Yes, the snowy white feathered friend of another, slightly-more-famous-yet-no-more-magical-and-also-fictional young boy, given to him as a birthday present. Inspirational indeed. Oh, for those of you who do not have a fourth or fifth grader, Hedwig is Harry Potter's owl.
My birdie, yes - my birdie, for the other one is mine, has a yellow head and two orange smudges on his cheeks. I called him Smudge. Emma said his smudges looked like orange juice, so I lengthened his name to O.J. Smudge. I'm sure we'll write a book about his life and times very soon, because honestly - wouldn't you want to read about a cockatiel named O.J. Smudge? I know I would. He might be a gumshoe cockatiel. We'll know sooner or later.
Here's the boy with his new friend:

Within three minutes of coming home, Drew sighed and said, "It's like having a friend come over and they never have to go home!" How sweet. That made mommy panic a little bit. Mommy has commitment issues.
Anyway, Smudge seems to be a bit less friendly than Hedwig and I do plan to work on that. I bent and broke my children into being nice people. We'll see what I can do with a bird. Bwaaa haa haaa haaaaa!
Okay. Sorry for that. It is probably obvious at this point that I should go on to bed.

DAILY BLISS: Skillet toasted corn salad - yummy :) and just getting through the day. Sometimes that's enough.

3 comments:

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

I think O.J. Smudge is ratherly a wonderful name!!

Mary said...

LOL to Becky's comment. Hooray for Drew and his new buddy. I hope they have a great time together.

Joe said...

Congrats! Be sure to keep those wings trimmed.