Monday, August 20, 2007

First Day

The kids survived their first day of school for the year, and so did I. I'm pretty worn out, in no small way due to the fact that I don't sleep well when Chris is out of town. Also, I spent most of the afternoon looking for my debit card. I did eventually track it down, but - woah - scary.
Emma's teacher had the sweetest little note that she passed out to the mommies - it had a cotton ball in it to remind us of our children's soft and gentle spirits, and it had a bag of tea and a chocolate. It made me cry a little bit. They were both really glad to see their friends, and Emma went to her first Chess Club meeting. She was feelin' pretty big, I tell ya.
Here are a few photos of my big kids (notice Emma's smile - it has been strategically placed to show off that front gap):





Capped off the day making lotion and sugar scrub with my sister-in-law. That made my day! There may have been a Prince cover song that came out in the process....something about Maple Rain....
But, I have stacks and stacks of fun sitting on my table, now.

DAILY BLISS: Finding my lost debit card and dancing in the living room with my kids.

6 comments:

Mary said...

Beautiful.

Joe said...

Woohoo! Chess club!

Christy said...

Yes, of course, chess club! Drew has been playing for a couple of years and Em is so excited to join up. It should be interesting because she thinks in a completely different way than he. We have a competitive tournament circuit here - I don't think they had it when we were in school. But, yeah....you can have soccer. I'm a chess mom!

Joe said...

Sure, it was there when I was. Actually, I was in on the start of the whole thing. Warren Linton, who is still teaching in Polk County, I think, started chess in Polk County. I was captain of the LGHS team, back in the day. I ended up with a decent national ranking at one time (top couple hundred), thanks to that program. Have fun!

Christy said...

Indeed he did start the whole thing. He works with my dad now at the school board - he's taken a keen interest in the fact that my dad's grandkids are part of what he started :) It's actually become one of the largest programs in the nation, if I'm not mistaken!
I don't remember you playing chess.....but it makes sense :)
Come to think of it, though, when my dad said he was working with Mr. Linton, I told him I thought an old boyfriend of mine had taken one of his classes. Maybe it was you playing chess that I remembered. I have a terrible memory.

claibornes corner said...

I think I need some of your scrub! I read if you put cinnamon oil in your lip gloss it would swell up your lips! I Love big lips so I just put the oil on and now my lips are REALLY chapped!! Love that you leave messages on my blog! Love to my brillant nanachildren!