Sunday, August 5, 2007

A Little Bad News

We had Terminix come out yesterday for an inspection.
A couple nights ago (while Chris was gone), Emma squealed from her bed for me to come. It sounded pretty urgent. Turns out, she had found a bug on her bed and squished it. I took one look at that bug and decided to wrap it up in a tissue and save it. Within two days, coincidentally, Terminix called us and offered us a free termite inspection. They're our pest control company anyway, so....the timing was really impeccable.
Chris came home, made the arrangements and Anthony came on out. He saw all the old damage on the front porch and started to get worried. He was then awfully surprised at the size of the bug I showed him. Yup. It was a big, fat, reproductive termite. Anthony was pretty sure it was going to be bad news all around. I guess only the ones with wings lay eggs. I looked through his little flier and found that the bug I thought was an earwig in the bathroom also was a termite of the same genre (earwigs have little pincers too, but just on the opposite end of their bodies). This one was a soldier termite, though.
Sigh.
The good news is that there is no visible evidence of infestation and no new damage (this house, and any other house in florida that is more than a few years old, has had termites at least once before). The bad news is that, well, we found termites inside the house, which means that they are either in the walls or somewhere else that we can't see, or they're in the neighborhood and knocking on my door.
We will be tenting the house. I don't even want to think about the work that this will entail - boxing up foods and medicines and my spice cabinet, leaving all appliance doors open, stripping the bedding and possibly removing the mattresses, moving to my mom's house for a week....groan. All during the second week of school.
But I do love my house. It's not my house's fault. I love my house. My house would never knowingly betray me. I love my.....

DAILY BLISS: A birthday present (finally) from the DH and a slow pancake breakfast on a quiet, church-was-cancelled-today, Sunday morning.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Oh my stars! I would so very much be crying. Of course...I'm hormonal...but still...that whole ordeal is worth a good cry. Hope it all goes as smoothly as it possibly can.

frabjouspoet said...

I feel for you. That doesn't sound like fun at all. Make sure you remind the house that you love it and it will feel better soon. :) (I talk to the toaster, too.)

Christy said...

Yes, well, crying was a tempting option. Especially considering the degree to which I personify anything inaminate. Mostly, though, I'm dreading the work involved. Alli, I must now confess that I have an antique toaster. Though he has been decommissioned, I like to remind him of the lovely white bread toast he used to make in better days.

Amy Button said...

Oh, wow! I am so sorry.