Thursday, August 23, 2007

I Think I've Got This One

So, I haven't made any huge mistakes this week. Everybody showed up to school in dress code and I made it to work on time for the most part. All of which is good. I just have this feeling, though, of having made a bad start.
It's not due to some failure, I think it's just that I haven't lived up to my own expectations. I have stayed home for all but one summer of my children's lives. So, this was the first one with them both returning to school after a working summer for me. Normally, by the start of school, I have chore charts and responsibility lists that are framed with glass so that they can use dry erase markers to check off their lists every day (see, it's awfully efficient, not having to waste a fresh piece of paper for every day or something like that). I also have laminated the sign that goes in my car for the car line, so they know which kids to shove into my back seat. I have paperwork organized, signed and filed, and I also know what day all of their club meetings start.
None of that has happened this year. School started and I had not even checked my own list twice, not to mention the fact that I had no lists made for my children. I am surprised that we have been as pulled-together as we have. Maybe it's because they're getting older and more responsible. Andrew makes his own sandwiches for lunch now. Emma can tie her own shoes. They both remember to brush their teeth. Mostly. I think that I've gotten the picture of how their teachers work this year, as far as who needs homework signed and who has to show up with snacks to class.
Maybe I'm just getting better at this with practice.
But I can't shake that unsettled feeling. You know the one? That little voice that asks if you unplugged the iron or that quiet whisper that tells you your top button is undone? Those kind of things happen to me all the time. I'm pretty used to it. But when there are things I can control (like going into a new school year fully prepared), I control them as much as humanly possible. Maybe I'm just sensing that lack of control.
We shall see, I guess. Maybe I have neglected some important document or rule. Maybe I'll find out that it's something disastrous. But maybe.....maybe I've got this now. Maybe this is something that I have now learned how to do.

DAILY BLISS: Chris walked into the living room after dinner and looked at me, saying "It's August 23rd!" And I was thinking maybe this was the something I'd forgotten about. He waited and waited and I thought and thought. Finally, I asked him why that was important. He said, "We met fifteen years ago today!"
Geez. Fifteen years? And, you know, hooray for me that I have a hubby to remember those kinds of things. Lord knows I don't.

1 comment:

frabjouspoet said...

LOL! How sweet that he remembers such a special day! Doesn't time fly?