Friday, August 24, 2007

A Small Victory

Last Friday, I got my new computer at work. That was so exciting! It has Vista on it, though, so you can see where this post is going. I spent most of this week getting documents converted to the right formats and installing software, then downloading the updated versions and drivers for all of my junk. I was not made for that kind of task. I have left work each day this week with my head feeling like it's stuffed full of cotton balls. Or maybe jell-o. Or maybe jell-o-soaked cotton balls.
Anyway.
I even called tech support this week. I have never done that - I have way too much pride and I can usually figure it out - or call my dad. Then he helps me figure it out. But I didn't call Dad this time. I was pretty sure it was bad. I won't go into it here, because I will look stupid. But the nice tech support man was just as stymied as I was. He walked me through my first computer surgery. I had to take apart some of Opie's (that's O.P. - for Optiplex) insides and then re-attach them, just to be sure. I was nervous, but TM (Tech Man) told me I was doing a good job. That was slightly reassuring. In the end, none of the surgery was necessary. But TM was nice about that too. He would not have been able to guess any more than I did, he said.
I had a small victory today. I got my speakers to work. My printer? Not so much (it will only print if the document is in compatibility mode - there will be new drivers available in October!). My optical mouse and keyboard? Nope. But now, I have surround sound extraordinaire. As I was the only one in the church office today, I made the most of that. The nice speaker system never worked with my other machine. It didn't have the right kinds of ports or something. That last hour of work flew by today as I forced this little machine to obey my wishes and play the music that I told it to play through the speakers that I wanted it to use. Not that I have a problem with Opie. He's certainly nicer than cranky old Mr. Dell, his dad. Opie's also a lot faster and generally obeys me quickly. I like things that obey me.
It's just that the other guys don't like newcomers. They won't talk to him. I keep telling Opie that all he has to do is follow the little paths that are laid out for him and approach them nicely. Then they'll all get to know each other. But right now, Brother (the printer) says that they just don't speak the same language; he says that if Opie could just learn to talk to him the way he likes, things would be fine. I told Brother that it's going to be up to him to learn Opie's language. And that's that.
So I will have to wait. That October release will make Brother to obey me too. Then we'll see who talks to who!
Maybe I need to move Julianna's office closer to mine. It looks like I may need more people to talk to during the day. Or it could just be the jell-o and cotton balls....

DAILY BLISS: A phone call from junior high boyfriend (weird how my boyfriends from school are still my friends.....) that made my day and an entire car conversation about the origins and uses of belly buttons.

No comments: