Saturday, January 5, 2008

Can I get an extra Saturday, please?

Because mine was wasted at a chess tournament. I suppose "wasted" is a strong word there - I invested my whole Saturday in my son's chess tournament. Does that sound more nice-mom-y? In order to feel like I was being productive, I brought my mom's birthday cardigan to work on. I frogged it. Twice. 290 stitches down the drain...so, I guess that's really 580 stitches, since I frogged it twice.
I started to get cross-eyed looking at those stitches (my glasses still aren't here!) and tried to forge ahead in a book I'm reading. Or I'm trying to read, anyway. It isn't going well. It's just over my head and I'm practically licking the page trying to get at least something out of it. Some fiber might just be a worthy compensatory prize.
Tomorrow is Epiphany Sunday. My husband decided to get all pastor-y and research Epiphany a little extra this year before we kick off that season in our church tomorrow. He suggested we make a King's Cake (is there supposed to be an apostrophe there, or even an "s?" I'm just not sure....) for breakfast. Sure, I thought, I'll just grab a recipe online tonight and whip it up in the morning. Lo and behold, it's yeast bread. Brioche, actually. Soooooo, I will be waking up in the wee hours so that it can rise several times before I shove it into the oven.
Yeasty breakfast aside, though, I'm looking forward to a new year with new direction for our little church. Having recently solidified our resolve to keep doing church this way, we have been in standing still through Advent. Now, I think we're both ready to jump back in and start exploring our identity and how we fit into the Body of Christ. It should be interesting.
Anyway, in the spirit of Epiphany (the revelation of Christ to the humanity, summing it up, also it's the celebration of the visit of the Magi), we usually emphasize some kind of service and charity. I have a few ideas to bring up tomorrow and I'm excited to see which one we pursue. I think I'll also be starting up a little charity knitting group. Nothing too time-consuming....maybe once a month. Any suggestions for either one are welcome in the comments section!

DAILY BLISS: looking at Chris' two-weeks-of-vacation beard - it just looks so friendly on him - and new music on my iPod

4 comments:

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Oh, Honey! How I wish I had known you needed a King Cake!! They are here in ABUNDANCE!! It's a BIG New Orleans tradition. They put a baby inside, a tiny little figurine, and when you get the piece with the baby in it, that means YOU bring the cake to the next party.

Wish I were eating King Cake with you guys!

Christy said...

See? I was gonna do that whole thing with the baby inside too! But, when I really considered how early I'd have to get up in order to allow for the total of 3 1/2 hours of rising time for the yeast dough, I decided we'd just buy donuts instead :)

frabjouspoet said...

I've always wanted to celebrate some of the early traditions of Christianity. They are so fascinating to me. I love the idea of tradition and how it helps focus us.

Mary said...

An extra Saturday would be a good idea. I think we should maybe make one of the current days a Saturday...maybe get rid of Tuesdays.