Monday, January 21, 2008

Weekend Update

We went to Sea World on Saturday - my parents gave us an annual pass (which is a great deal!) for Christmas. I haven't been there since I was, like, 14 or something. It was so much fun! A little closer to my speed that the mousie parks.....less crowded and more educational.
The kids enjoyed a few rides, and we really loved the shows. I am totally crushing on the sea lions. They were having so much fun doing their tricks and blinking their little eyes with pleasure and pride when they got their fishie treats. I didn't take many pictures. I'm never good with action shots and I don't tend to like random, half-fuzzy pictures. I also don't like having 53 shots of birds and water and dolphins, none of whom I will still be in a relationship with 12 years from now when I look at the pictures. But, here's a couple I did manage to snap, once I got over my own need for beautiful portraits of oceanic wonder:



We really had a good time.


I have also been feeling a spurt of creativity coming on. I just need to be making something! So, tonight while I had my ladybug apron still on, I decided to be Kiki the Maker and just make some stuff. Chris said I was cute with my apron and glasses and crafts and took a picture of me.
I got started sewing a nightie I cut out waaaaay last year, before my cute sewing machine busted. Note to self: in the future, "cute" should not be a motivating factor in the purchase of a sewing machine. I cast on another, super-secret knitting project, which will be revealed in due time:

I needed something other than cranberry wool for a little while. This is oatmeal-ish alpaca and acrylic. It is fuzzier and is shedding more than I expected. I hope it quits that before it gets used....
And for those of you....er...that one of you that asked me for a Mama Cardigan update, here's a photo, though I do apologize for the crappiness of it. I only remembered to take its picture just now and it's dark in my living room.

You can see its size in relation to my toes. My toes are medium-sized, in case you needed that as a reference point. But it's a lovely cranberry color and I am starting the increases under the arms. Oh - that's the back of the cardigan.
I know myself well enough to not expect the completion of any of these things soon. But starting something new is always an energizing thing. I like feeling optimistic and I love planning. Following through is kind of another story.

DAILY BLISS: Long girlfriend-ish conversations with Mindy and chatting with Bill the Sand Hill Crane today. Herb and Tillie took off somewhere and left him to fend for himself in the parking lot. He seemed absolutely bewildered.

5 comments:

claibornes corner said...

You're getting quite good at this knitting! And what every that ride the kids are strapped in does not look like something Nana would ride!!! Did you show Emma the ballet video? It's amazing! Love, Nana

Mary said...

I know that feeling of starting new projects. I'm trying so hard to be good about finishing but the process is not nearly as fun as the initial idea and fresh start with raw materials that could become anything I envision for them.

frabjouspoet said...

I am so with you on the pictures. I've noticed that I take more interesting shots now.

60ish and Glad said...

What ballet video? Sea lions in ballet? Stingrays? I love Sea World. I used to think I was a mermaid and my former memory was lost in transition to human life. Probably because my mother used to tell me I was her little fish. I loved swimming.

Christy said...

Haha - Mom, she emailed a video to me to show Emma. And I totally can see you imagining that mermaid-to-human transition! That cracks me up!
Nana, we have not been home for any stretch long enough to even watch even that short video :) But I promise we will soon!