Thursday, January 3, 2008

Colorful

I do love living in Florida when we get a cold snap. It doesn't happen often that our temperatures dip below freezing, and when it does, things get pretty colorful around here.
People pull out jackets and hats and scarves and boots that have been in their closets since the late seventies. Well, it's likely that the boots and scarf have been there since the seventies. The hat was maybe purchased as a cold front approached in '85, and the gloves could be a more recent purchase.
Whenever the purchases were made, though, we look amazingly silly in all of our mismatched layers and wide, frightened-at-this-weather eyes. Hurricanes? Sure. We can handle those. We have emergency kits and gallons of water stored in our garages. But cold weather? What the heck? We are completely unprepared for this eventuality!
I also love to see the sprinklers in the strawberry fields. They make a glittery halo over the crops and the plants themselves sparkle in the sunlight against that clear, bright, blue sky that only happens after a real cold front passes through. Where else?

DAILY BLISS: wearing my long wool coat and needing slippers while I cooked supper

4 comments:

60ish and Glad said...

I noticed that Lake Howard was crispy blue against a very orange sky as I came home. You could actually see that it was cold out. I love that - when I am INSIDE!

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Hee hee! New Orleans looks the same, girl!

Mary said...

I'm so glad you get a little variety. It's good to feel a little crisp air now and then.

Amy Button said...

I used to LOVE it when I was a kid- in FL- and waking up to ice on the plants and bushes left by the kind people that decided to turn their sprinklers on. I think it was just what I needed to give me the push to move someplace that gets cold.

And contrary to what most people think, it gets pretty darn cold in FL sometimes. I remember my Michigan and Indiana friends from college kvetching when it got into the 30's. That temp. just feels colder in FL than it does farther north.