Friday, January 18, 2008

An Unexpected Gift

My parents took us out to dinner tonight - a really nice dinner. They've been telling us that they had a surprise for us. We were all mystefied, my brothers and I. If you have met my parents, you will understand what I mean when I say that a surprise from them really could mean anything. Jon (oldest brother) had Joe (youngest brother) nearly convinced that they were adopting a Russian orphan. I suggested that my dad may have decided to move to the wilderness, eat cockroaches and live the life of a prophet. He did buy a walking stick last month, after all. Joe thought that maybe Dad had some health issues to talk to us about. He has a strong family history of heart disease and just had his first checkup in years.
Once our orders were all placed, though, they passed out cards to us. Each card contained a gift that has come to us through the loss of my dad's parents this past year. Not really an inheritance....just a gift.
I was surprised at how many tears I have cried tonight over that gift. I have definitely mourned and it's been hard to watch my dad walk through this, but it's not an every day sort of a loss anymore.
But, see, my grandparents always had a hard time saying goodbye. There would be hugs and tears and more hugs and waves from the driveway and admonitions regarding traveling safety. But always - always - once the car had pulled all the way out and you shifted out of reverse, you could look at their big, front window and see them standing there, waving one last goodbye.
And pretty much what this gift feels like. One last, very final goodbye.

4 comments:

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

I have tears for you, my friend. I hate one last, final goodbyes.

60ish and Glad said...

Christy, that is beautiful. I cried too!

Mary said...

What a treasure grandparents are.

Amy Button said...

It sounds like you guys had a meaningful- if not incredibly emotional time. I hate the finality that death brings and yet am so incredibly thankful for the eternity that a relationship with Christ promises. My prayers are with you.