Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Still Chaotic?

We have reached that point in the cycle of seasons that we should be taking a deep breath and feeling refreshed and jumping back into our lives full of resolution and new hope, haven't we?
That just doesn't seem to be the case for me this year. I knew that work was going to be a little hectic leading up to Christmas. Just lots of publishing and printing and phone busyness and stuff. It isn't like being a part-time secretary is a hard job. That's what my brain says. Meanwhile, my computer-strained eyes and quick-as-lightning typing fingers beg to differ. Not only were they overworked this Christmas, it has not seemed to end yet. Each work day ends with me feeling hopeful that tomorrow - yes, tomorrow - I will find my desk under the pile of papers. Having a couple of days of sleeping in and staying in jammies should have cured my tiredness, shouldn't it? After all, my mom tells me I am under-employed. I am soooo on top of this job. Well....I should be, right? It's just that I don't seem to be. I mean, it isn't that bad, but I don't like the sense of being snowed under with papers. I prefer to be on top of things. I really enjoy answering requests with, "Yeah! I can do that!" or "No problem." It's more like, "uh, I'll do what I can" right now.
Maybe I just didn't recover quite enough. I've been under the weather. I had just enough time to catch up on sleep and not enough time to catch up on the parts of life that passed me by during the Christmas rush.
School paperwork for the kids - they go back tomorrow and I just now pulled out their stacks of paper.
Setting up my 2008 Calendar - there are things happening tomorrow and Saturday that my husband had to remind me about because I haven't done this yet.
Putting knitting projects on Ravelry - that should be fun and spare-time-ish. So far, no spare time. It's starting to feel more like an item on my to-do list than fun.
Grocery shopping - I always forget that there is life after Christmas. I plan meals and buy food through the 25th. After that, it's every man for himself. Usually, that lasts a couple of days until I can get to the store. Still....January 2nd and no groceries yet.....
Anyway, you don't need to know my to-do list. Nor should you concentrate that I was irresponsible with my time and got a tattoo yesterday instead of getting groceries. Just blot that fact from your mind. I just.....I just....am still waiting to feel ready for this year to start. But it already started. And I'm not ready.
I hate that.
But Chris was still on vacation today and he did some nice things. He hooked up my new record player (my Christmas present from my honey). Now I can pull out my Bing Sings collection and play it. I think I'll do that tonight. And he set up our radio in the living room. Five years in this house and no NPR in the living room. It's been a long five years. Prarie Home Companion, I have missed you! He cleaned out the game cabinet. We really have outgrown Don't Spill the Beans and Candyland. Sad, but true. Now we have room for the six different kinds of Monopoly games we own.
My sweetie even took the kids to the park today and they rode their bikes (that requires supervision in our neighborhood), neither of which happen as often as I feel responsible parents should make them happen. I will never live up to my own standards.
So, I am still needing vacation, but my hubby has had an accomplishing sort of day....which almost sort of makes it better.

DAILY BLISS: an hour of down time at Emma's ballet class and dried cranberries in my oatmeal

3 comments:

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Grrrl, I feel your pain! I have two things to say:

1) Wish I had some cranberries in my oatmeal.

2) Where's the tat, already? From the pic you posted, it could be virtually anywhere! You're killing me!!

Wish I coulda been there! Miss you!

Amy Button said...

Ugh! I remember that "being torn between two places" feeling when I worked. I hated it. I feel for you.

I love prarie home companion, although I'm ashamed to say I haven't the foggiest idea when the last time I listened to it was. I think I used to listen to it on car trips or late at night when I was in college and was driving home from whatever late night thing I was doing. Sigh- the good 'ol days when I used to stay out past 9 o'clock ;)

Mary said...

I so know that feeling. But...you will catch up and you will be on top of things...it's just a matter of time...one day it will just happen and you'll celebrate by staying up too late doing something you consider a splurge and you'll be so tired the next day you'll start the cycle all over again by not getting anything productive done. Or maybe that's just me.