Monday, April 14, 2008

Birds and Birds and Monday Stuff

We haven't seen any more of our baby wrens since they flew the coop, but I've heard Mama and Papa singing around the area. They can't have gone far. The nest in the front yard is now our birdly focus. I don't know what kind of birds they are, but they have not built their nest in the best spot. It is in the Spanish bayonet (a.k.a. the Death Plant), so it probably does deter some predators, but the neighborhood cats are all slinking around the bottom of the plant and just waiting for the babies to try to fly. It's a little disturbing. I run out the front door and chase the cats every time I hear the parents scolding something. Usually, once the cat is out in the open, they dive-bomb it. I don't suppose there's a lot of hope in it, but I can't help hoping they make it anyway.
Speaking of birds, funny story:
I went to pick up the kids from chess today and before I knew what happened, I was in charge of a bird habitat demonstration for Celebrate Creation week at the kids' school tomorrow. I'm not exactly sure how it happened. There was chaos and desperation, and a kid or two talking at the same time and - BAM! - I had a big bag full of educational materials and stuffed birds. I'm doing some research, because actually this kind of thing is super-fun for me. We shall see how it goes. Had I more time, there would be recordings of bird calls and appropriate food/beak tool demonstrations and probably a take-home activity or two. As it is, we will be building nests with tools that simulate different birds' beaks. Yay! And it will be lovely and chilly outside, too.
Speaking of chilly and lovely:
I enjoyed my Monday knitting spot at the lake one last time. It had been a little too warm as of late, but we got this nice little cold front and I could not resist a breezy hour with my friendly size 10 needles and a skein of Lion Brand homespun. Becky? Your gifty is taking longer than I thought, but it's getting there. I'm soooo excited!

DAILY BLISS: Earl Grey tea, handed to me by a barista (if it's a guy, shouldn't it be baristo?) who said "Earl Grey" with a Scottish accent. He asked me if I needed any honey or sugar. I said, "not after that!"

5 comments:

60ish and Glad said...

Aha! Now I see what you were telling me today. You should ahve called your grandmother and borrowed her bird song book!

Amy Button said...

I hope the baby birdies make it too! If only they'd known about the nest in your laundry room...

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

A GIFTY??? For me?? From you????

Just knowing it makes my day.

Christy said...

Oh yes. A pay-it-forward freebie gifty for you, my darling!

Christy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.