Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Good For Me

Since I was on such a productive streak coming off the weekend, I decided to amp it up a bit and exercise.
I know, I know. This is really a shocking admission. Most of you know that I do not like to sweat. You know how some people get a healthy exercise glow? Not me - it's blotchy redness and sweat. Adrenaline rush? Ha. Not so much. Aching regret usually hits me straightaway after I've cooled down and my breathing returns to normal.
But I know it's good for me. So I try to make myself do it. You know how some people are yo-yo dieters? Well, I'm a yo-yo exerciser. I get all optimistic and start a new regimen and give it up within three days or so. Sometimes it lasts longer, but so far, nothing has ever stuck. None of those "lifestyle changes," thanks.
But I've been feeling guilty about that little Monday Hour that I have between work and picking up the kiddos from chess club. Knitting is great, sewing is fun, and even the occasional stop at a Starbucks is a satisfying way to kill some time and feed my soul, as it were. But are there any lasting benefits? Not so much.
So it was my Monday Hour and I thought I'd better get my ass off the sofa and do something about all this guilt. So, I exercised.
It wasn't that bad, really.
But the best part? It only took 30 minutes, so I was still alone in the house. As I was still a little too, uh, dewy to put my work clothes back on, I just sat on my bed in my, well, undies and knitted on a little beret that I'm making for Emma. If you have never knitted in your unders, I can now highly recommend that you try. As a matter of fact, just about anything is more fun if you do it in the skivvies during daylight hours. Washing dishes might even take on a new appeal. Hm...
So the beret is super-cute, but I don't have pictures just yet. It's almost done. It's pink and cream striped and is going to be adorable on my dear Emma, the artist. I think I will call it the Strawberries and Cream beret, only it's a beret, so that should be in French. Mindy Sue? How do you say Strawberries and Cream in French? I'm too worn out from all that exercising to Google it.

DAILY BLISS: a big bowl of fresh cantaloupe

7 comments:

frabjouspoet said...

As I read about your knitting, I thought, "Is there anything that's NOT more fun in your undies?" Then you beat me to it. (And yes, even washing dishes is better!) One of the things I like about living in the country is the ability to walk around just about everywhere in as little as possible.

Oh, and I can't wait to see the beret. It sounds adorable.

Denise said...

I was wondering what wonderful thing you were knitting. I was going to ask, but I simply forgot...how wonderful!

mindy said...

yeah, i pretty much turn beet red and sweat profusely when i exercise, so i definitely feel your pain....but i always feel so great after working out, which makes it all worth it. keep up the good work!

oh, and i believe strawberries & cream in français would be "fraises et crème"...

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

OMG, I am exercising too!! I work in a 3 story building and on my lunch break I've been running the stairs. Six times. With girl push-ups at the top.

I don't know what it'll do for my weight if anything. But I gotta agree, it's good for me. If for nothing else than to release upon the stairs some pent up aggression that may otherwise victimize a human being.

Tomorrow I'll be climbing the stairs and thinking of you! I MISS YOU!

Christy said...

Thank you Denise and Mindy :) Alli, I knew you'd understand.
B? I miss you too. Terribly. And if all I have to do for you to think of me is exercise, then exercise I will.

Mary said...

skivvies is just fun to say.

Amy Button said...

I, too, get all beet red and splotchy when I work out. I haven't actually met anyone that doesn't *but* I feel so good after that it makes it all worth it.

Having said that- if I were to do anything in my skivvies I'd immediately feel the need to work out again :)