Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Good Neighbors

By now, all of you know that one of my neighbors keeps chickens. This often soothes my unfulfilled desire to live in the country. But did you know that my other neighbor keeps bees? I've probably never mentioned it before.
I came home from a little crafty run (needed one last thing to finish up Becky's gifty) and heard my hubby mowing in the back yard (as it is Earth Day, I feel I must mention that we use a manual lawn mower - the rotary kind) and as I walked around the corner, he said, "Honey. You're never going to believe what's on the kitchen counter." This could really mean anything - good or bad - because he'd been alone with the kids for a while and things can get a little crazy around here when that happens. So I said, "huh?" "You will not believe what's on the kitchen counter," he said, "just go look."
And there it was. My very own, very large jar of real, fresh, raw honey.

All of its enzymes and pollen bits and antioxidants are intact. I am very excited. I have even read that raw honey contains a unique antioxidant that improves brain function. I might eat the whole jar just to see if I get smarter. I think I'll be able to tell.
So, here in downtown Lakeland, I get fresh eggs and raw honey from my next-door neighbors. I might have to get a goat or something, just to feel like I'm doing my part....

DAILY BLISS: Finishing a pretty knitted something and a good hair day which, incidentally, is the only one I've had in a good month and it comes on the eve of my big hair-chopping appointment. I got sick of it and decided to cut it all off, just in time to get a good hair day. Go figure.

3 comments:

Amy Button said...

Lucky you! I have to drive to the middle of nowhere TN to get fresh eggs and such.

I always have a good hair day just before a haircut. Somehow I think my hair knows it's days are numbered :)

lubke-moss said...

Oh my goodness! I scrolled down a bit and saw the pics of Bob and Martha and I almost died!!! How cute are they? :) Bob is quite possibly one of my favorite people. I don't think I've ever seen him with a frown.
Funny Bob comment of the week (upon finding out my due date is November 5th): "Why, you could have a Reformation baby (Oct.31st)! It'd be just like you to have a Reformation baby!" He he. Good Ole Bob~

Christy said...

Candace - I must say that my mother, who was standing with my grandpa when he talked to you on Sunday, was quite terrified of what he might say on the subject. He has an, um, interesting history when it comes to comments regarding pregnancy and such....
He's one of my favorite people too, though. When we were little, we used to call him our "funny grandpa" to differentiate between him and my other grandpa.