Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sigh. Real Life Starts Tomorrow.

I took last Friday off and it was wonderful. Amazing. It was the (insert your favorite superlative).
I need more of it, though. Sadly, I must return to real life, real schedule, real work and real motherhood tomorrow.
As it is, I have spent much of this weekend in frustration at the sewing machine with very little to show for it. I have an almost-skirt that started out as a dress and a pair of pants for Emma that she doesn't like because the finished seams are scratchy on the inside. Oh, and they're not hemmed yet. Sewing would probably be easier if I could just stick to a pattern or two until the idea is sort of second-nature to me, but I never do take the easy way out.
It rained today, though. All afternoon it has rained and it is still raining tonight. And I love it. We spent quite a bit of time with our Transformers Monopoly game and our children. Monopoly is much more fun now that Emma can add and subtract.
Chris' birthday was Friday and it hurt his feelings a little bit. The realization that he is now in his mid-thirties was a little tough. But there was a Shaving Incident, so now his chin is quite bare and he looks young. That is small consolation. It doesn't console me much either.
Pop Quiz:
I never can get enough of:
A. dessert
B. making stuff for my friends
C. men with facial hair
D. Beatrix Potter
E. all of the above
Yes, of course, the answer is E, with C being the surprising twist. It's probably 'cause my dad always, always had at least a moustache, if not a beard. Chris tried leaving on the moustache, but it was a little bit Earl Hickey and Andrew laughed and laughed. I chuckled a little bit too, but much more stealthily than Andrew. I just think moustaches look friendly. I do not claim to have good taste.
I think I'm going to hit the sewing machine again. I don't know if I could sleep tonight without having finished something to my satisfaction.

DAILY BLISS: afternoon coffee

5 comments:

claibornes corner said...

God, you sound just like me - I would dive right in a sewing project before I knew what I was doing - I would figure it out as I go - sometimes it works and sometimes not!!!!!

Mary said...

You're sewing adventures make me laugh. I mean...what is the "almost-skirt that started out as a dress?" To only mention it in passing is pretty good if you want me coming back for more.

Christy said...

Nana - that is precisely my approach :)
Mary - I didn't even think of it, but now that you mention it, that's pretty funny. What I mean is that I was making an empire-waist dress. But, I used a top from one pattern and actually just traced the skirt from another one right onto the fabric and cut it out with seam allowances. But I did not think ahead enough to match up the top part's pattern with the rough skirt outline and by the time I'd finished the bodice, of course, they didn't line up. After two or three attempts, I just cut the @#!% thing off and decided it would be a skirt. At the time of the blog, it was not finished, thus it was an almost-skirt. Hope that's a little less crazy-sounding:) And it is now a full-fledged skirt that I hope nobody looks at too closely.

Amy Button said...

I'm totally laughing. Since every time I read sewing directions what I hear in my head is- mwa, mwa, mwa, mwa (or whatever sound that is that Charlie Brown's teacher makes). Funny still but maybe not to you? I do envy the sewing gift though.

Christy said...

Oh yes. Funny to me too!!! As far as the sewing gift goes, though, I'm quite sure I don't have it. I envy the others also.