Sunday, April 13, 2008

Glorious Saturday

We launched into Friday knowing that we wouldn't stop until we all hit school and work on Monday. It was one of those non-stop schedule things. Birthday parties? Two. Errands? Yup. Those too. Checkbooks that needed balancing and a long-overdue trip to the grocery store were on the agenda. Have you ever noticed how not having food in the house complicates a full schedule?
But Saturday night was my reward. Saturday night, I got to go with my best girls to the ballet - Swan Lake. We all dressed up and Emma wore some shiny clip-on earrings. The performance was just beautiful and I was happily surprised at the presence of a live orchestra. I have actually bought tickets to a ballet before and arrived to find them dancing to a CD. I always check now. But I didn't buy these tickets, so, it was a nice surprise.
The performance was just breathtaking and my little ballerina was enchanted. She fell asleep about 15 minutes before the end, though. Granted, since it started at 8:00, it wasn't over until somewhere around 10:30 or 11:00. We all laughed and enjoyed each other so much.
I was talking to another mom at one of those birthday parties this weekend about our girls and how they're so different from boys. It occurred to me that, as I grew up, I was a girly girl, but was never really comfortable with it. My mom was such a tomboy and didn't understand that side of me. That's not a complaint, Mom. I only had brothers and all my closest friends were boys. I remember worrying about what I'd do with a daughter. How would I relate to her? Boys I understand. Girls? I didn't even like 'em much.
But my girl, who is girl through and through, has given me such a great opportunity to understand myself and explore all the girl stuff I can handle - ballets and princess stories and fairies - and it's so much fun!


DAILY BLISS: one last, slightly freakish, chance to wear flannel jammies tonight. lows in the fifties? in April?

7 comments:

claibornes corner said...

Oh My God she looks soooooo grown up - I know you had a ball!

mindy said...

you both looked so beautiful in your black & white dresses! what a great evening....

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Yes, we have some deliciously low temps tonight too. I've had my windows open ALL DAY, and its just getting a bit too chilly! Wonderful!!

Oh a ballet! Mackenzie and I would totally dig a ballet!!

Amy Button said...

You two are perfectly beautiful! I think it's so sweet for the two of you to match.

It's chilly here too! We'll be freezing tonight and by Thursday it will be in the 70's again- crazy!

Denise said...

Who does not love flannel jammies!

60ish and Glad said...

All in all - I ewnjoyed the girlie night too....Tomboy though I am.

Mary said...

Sounds wonderful.