Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Spring Break Fun

We decided to take a life-detour today and went to the beach when I was done at work to catch the sunset. Chris is home with the kids for the rest of this week and we wanted to make sure we did something fun over their spring break.
I wove in the ends of a huge, huge thing I've been knitting and that felt really super good. Finished it right there on the beach! Here it is getting a beach hug. Now it's sitting on my living room floor blocking. That should really open up the lace - I'm so excited to see it all finished!

Emma and I went for a long walk down the sand and I taught her the word "perambulating" and she liked it a lot. She directed me to giggle and dance in circles so that we would have more fun. She was utterly charming as she danced splashy circles around me, walking up and down the shore. She also told me I was the most magical mom ever. Here's some Emma fun:

Drew spent his time building a castle with a moat, then he carved a TV and a Wii into the sand and spent his time fashioning a remote control out of wet sand and a stick. You can take the boy away from electronics, but he'll find a way to play with them anyway! Boys don't like to be still and have their picture taken. Here's the best I could catch of him at work:

I really needed this evening out. The beach is such a restoring place for me. The thing is, I'm not sure whether it soothes my aches or feeds them. But I know that I feel better when I leave. But I'm not a baking-in-the-sun beach person. I prefer to be there as the sun goes down and the light is buttery and warm, and the breezes cool off just enough to give you goosebumps now and again.
As I haven't been swimsuit shopping for a couple of years and I don't own a pair of capris, I decided to start No Pants Summer a little early and wore a skirt to the beach. That was absolutely fun. I highly recommend wading out into the shallows and letting the hem get wet.
The kids took over an abandoned sand-hole and made a little living room (the site of the aforementioned TV and Wii). Emma's sitting in the armchair below taking in the last of the setting sun.


DAILY BLISS: the glassy clink of perfect shells in my hand

6 comments:

claibornes corner said...

What a wonderful day - wish we all could have been there - It will WAY too hot for the beach when we come to Florida! Great photos and I LOVE the shawl!!!

Mary said...

Sounds delightful and I've done the dress on the beach thing too, and I loved it...oh and I wore a wide brimmed hat.

Christy said...

Oh, yes. A hat. I knew I had forgotten something!!

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

My favorite part of your beach trip was the wave sounds you sent me. They are still saved on my voice mail for my listening and crying pleasure.

THANK YOU!

Christy said...

That's one of my favorite parts too, Beck.

mindy said...

i'm so jealous! looks like you guys had a great time....and the pictures of emma-lemma-lou are beautiful!!