Sunday, April 27, 2008

Productive

Oh man, did we do a lot of stuff this weekend! I don't even remember Friday, but I do know that on Saturday, my parents took the kids to see the Royal Lipizzaner Stallions, which mean that Chris and I got a lot done. Yard work and such, I mean. My burly lumberjack chopped and pulled and dug out the last of that stump and planted my citrus trees and he finished mowing and we got the old washer and dryer that have been broken and on our back porch out to the curb because there was a special pick-up for that sort of thing in our neighborhood. Whew! That was a really long sentence. I offer sincere apologies, but I'm not sorry enough to edit it.

And here's one for Nana:

I was productive in my own right and finished a dress. This is one of the first ones I started on when I wanted to Frankenstein stuff and make up skirts to go onto tops I liked. The skirt didn't exactly work - too much fabric - so I cut it. But the cut wasn't right either. Then I decided that if I cut off part that I had messed up, I could turn it upside down and have a little empire waist top. Make sense? I didn't think so. But it was too long to be a top and too short to be a dress. What I really wanted was a dress, so I decided that I could just add a long ruffle at the bottom and make a dress. And it worked! And I love it! Every picture of me in it proves that the camera indeed adds ten pounds, and since this blog is all about painting me in the best possible light (ha!), here are the carefully selected, best-of-me-regardless-of-how-well-you-see-the-dress photos:



And today, I spent an awful lot of time organizing our summer camp schedule (which makes me want to curl up and take a nap, it's going to be that crazy) and the rest of the awful lot of time making invitations for my grandparents anniversary party. I do like to use decorative scissors and brads and glue and stuff. So, I aged a scanned copy of Edelweiss sheet music (it's a German-themed party, remember) and added a vellum sheet with sparkles in it over the top with the party info, and put a cute photo of the happy couple on it and fastened the whole thing together with pretty little flower-shaped brads. I like these a lot:

And I also made a big mess:


Actually, I've made lots of messes this weekend because I've been a very busy maker. I made a dress and invitations and charts and schedules and even some of my famous scones. For you biscuit dough fans out there - I ate an extra pinch of it in your honor. It's my favorite biscuit dough ever.
So, as I always say: With great creativity comes great mess, and with great mess comes great happiness. Or something like that. I never actually say that. But maybe I'll start.....
I find I did not accomplish nearly what I had expected to this weekend, but looking at it all here, I think I can rest in the knowledge that I've done all that I could.

DAILY BLISS: my ticking wall clock on a quiet Sunday afternoon and my silly, noisy birds

4 comments:

Mary said...

Wow, you must feel so good about all this. I know I would. Three cheers for you!!! Hoorah! Yahoo! and Yippee!

"since this blog is all about painting me in the best possible light" Love it!

Denise said...

You looked fabulouse in the dress and I loved it!

60ish and Glad said...

Well, I certainly say cheers for a very busy productive day. that always makes me relaxed at the end - not tired, invigorated and relaxed.

Amy Button said...

I love the dress! It's amazing that you could try this and that and then out pops a beautiful dress.

I love the invitations. It's something that I would get in the mail and think "wow, how pretty" but would never in a million years think of to make myself.

I think you guys need a weekend to recover from that weekend- whew!