Thursday, May 22, 2008

Big

When did this happen? When did my kid get all big? Drew had his final elementary school piano recital tonight. He played a piece that I remember playing when I was a kid. I'm so proud and sad all at once. I think I've been so worried about the start of middle school (!) next year that I've completely forgotten about the end of elementary school. I know that those seem like they're the same thing, but they're not at all really. One is bittersweet and the other is terrifying, you see. The piano teacher at their school only teaches 2nd-5th grades, so that's it for him, though Em should be starting next year. I don't know how we'll continue music for him, as they cut the school's band program. We have him in a guitar camp this summer. We'll see if he takes to it. Whichever instrument he chooses to continue with, though, be assured that he will continue. Music was such a defining thing for me in school. It gave me an identity and a group of (mostly) good kids to hang out with (not-good-ones? you know who you are). There's something comforting about providing an identifying group for your baby as they enter the time in life when you can so easily lose yourself in the very effort to find out who you are. I guess I could go on and get sappy and sentimental and emotional, but how about a picture instead? I'm too tired to cry today. Also, I'm sure it's obvious that my new camera did not come today. And here's a little video so you can all be floored by my offspring's incredible talent that he obviously inherited from his mother. Problem is, I did the dorkiest thing ever. I've seen so many people fall victim to this - I held my little camera portrait-style instead of landscape-style and you can't rotate video. So, if you want to press play and do some impressive acrobatics, you can watch it right-side-up. If not, you could always watch it sideways. It's dark and the video doesn't matter as much as the sound anyway.



DAILY BLISS: Iced Grande Decaf Caffe Americano - no sweetener, please.

4 comments:

claibornes corner said...

WHAT - junior high school?????? Please don't tell me that little baby in my dog buggy...Oh No - I'm so old.....Tell Andrew his playing was great - maybe I'll put him in my show - Can he please learn Chaka Kahn for next week (Tell me Something Good - one step lower than Chaka - No One can sing in her key!!!!!!

Amy Button said...

Great job Drew!!!

60ish and Glad said...

Oh my, he is so grown up. What a great shot. I have one of you, ya' know....sitting at the piano behnc for your recital playing a duet with brother Jon.

Mary said...

That was great! All these growing up reminders are coming my way. STOP! I'd like to get a handle on what I've got before it all changes.