Sunday, May 18, 2008

Weekend Rundown

We did manage to survive the Saturday From Hell. I think it's because we started the day off with a new tradition. I asked for (and got) a waffle iron for Mothers' Day. It makes little heart-shaped waffles.
I figure that, as our kids are getting older, we need to define times of the week that are "special" or incorporate routines to keep us together on a regular basis. Having been a teenager myself, I happen to know that food is a key element when it comes to planning these special times.
So, Waffle Saturday is born.

I found an egg-free recipe that produced decent results, albeit a little bit chewy. I may end up just making those for me and my special needs and treating my family to some egg-ful-licious waffles instead. I would like to state that these also were made with whole wheat flour. But even chewy, wheat-y waffles are good if you smother them with enough syrup.
We really enjoyed church this morning - it was really relaxed and nice. We always have good conversation, and though this week wasn't particularly compelling, there is comfort in sharing your lives with others who support you and pray for you and grow with you. House churches grow those kinds of intimate friendships that are just hard to come by elsewhere. We have theories about why and all that.....but....you know, maybe I should start a different blog for that kind of stuff.
Ha! Like I need another hobby!
My afternoon was whiled away in thwarted crafting. I am making Julianna a dress as her pay-it-forward object. She taught me to knit, so she can make her own shawls if she wants them. We shall see how this turns out. Apparently, she trusts me a lot. Her trust may be misplaced, though, as I bent my sewing machine's needle this morning while putting a little bit of shirring on part of the dress. I do have another one, but....you know how sometimes you just decide that it's time to put something down before you get angry with it? Yeah. That's what happened. So I decided I'd start knitting up a little something called Mary's gifty. I have searched and searched for just the right something. I thought I knew what it would be and I ordered some yummy yarn. It came in the mail last week and I have been really looking forward to playing with it. But when it found out what it was going to be, it let me know that it would rather be something else. So I started researching and looking and came up empty, except for this one thing. This one thing that called for all sorts of skills I don't yet have. Why must I always be drawn to challenges? Why don't I ever take the simple way?
So, as much as I wanted to find something else that I already knew how to do, I could not ignore that this one was "it." So, I would just have to learn some stuff today. So, here's what I looked at for most of my afternoon:

See my laptop? While I was learning how to do a crochet/provisional cast-on, I was also researching cameras. I think that's how I'm going to stimulate the economy with my little monies that I got. I mean, most of it will go for very sensible things (if I could only decide which ones are the most pressing), but I love to take pictures, and my camera is pretty outdated and doesn't take nice photos inside. I think I do okay with it, all things considered, but...well, I don't have to sell you on it, do I? I only have to sell my husband on it. I'm almost there.
Anyway, I learned the crochet chain and how to pick up and knit my stitches into it. I knit my 3 garter ridges and decided to try the picot edging now, just in case I couldn't do it. You're supposed to wait until the whole thing is done, go back and undo the crochet, and pick up the live stitches to knit the border outward. So, I even learned how to do that today! And I did it all quite perfectly. Feeling confident, I decided to go straightaway into the body of the pattern. And that's where things got ugly. Apparently, I cannot add. See that little note there that says "109??" It should say 112. Actually, it originally said 60, but being the crazy kamikaze crafter that I am, I decided to modify it. That's how I roll. "Do I know how to do this craft? Not really. But since we're learning and this will be hard, how about we change it completely? That should be fun."

I found that mistake pretty fast. But I fixed it and went on and three rows in, found that I had dropped a couple of stitches. Dropping stitches is NBD when you're just knitting and purling, but with yarnovers and purl-two-togethers, it gets a little tricky.
So now, I put that project down too.
And it's too late to try and redeem either craft today. So much for instant craftification.

DAILY BLISS: talking home renovation with my daddy and six balls of new, soft yarn to play with

6 comments:

Mary said...

Wow. I think your brain has sections that mine doesn't have. To keep track of the eggs and eggless and take on the projects and still enjoy a quiet morning in church is all to be commended.

Amy Button said...

I love the idea of waffle Saturdays. I used to make a big breakfast on Saturdays, I'm not sure what happened. Maybe I should have named it?

60ish and Glad said...

oh my Christy - your craftification is my dreadfulknit!

claibornes corner said...

Rome wasn't built in a day but I'm just like you - oil painting has taught me that sometimes you have to slow down!!!!

Christy said...

Mary, I have long suspected that my brain has sections that most people's brains don't have. I would not, however, claim that it's to my benefit ;)
Thanks Nana. We creative ones are always reaching for the satisfaction of the finished product and sometimes we forget to let the process unfold as it wants to - on its own timetable!

mindy said...

sorry, i stopped reading your post once i saw those beautiful heart-shaped waffles....what were you saying? ;]