Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Little Dirty

We did something today that we don't usually do.
We played in the yard with dirt and flowers.
I bought some little hydrangeas to put in pots as a decoration for my mom & Mindy's birthdays back in February. The deal is, I suck at taking care of plants. I usually kill them straightaway. I figured these guys would be no different and might last a week or two. These hydranges, though, seemed to like me. The flowers were soon spent and I could see no option but to snip them off. But they kept shooting out little hopeful green buds:

But their leaves were so awful and crispy and brown. So I looked them up and found that the direct sunlight fries their leaves. And I thought, with all this hopeful greenness and whatnot, I really should give these guys a chance instead of just chucking them in favor of some colorful annuals. But it's not something I have gotten around to. And I always think they're going to just die one of these days and I'll just pull them out and feel just a wee bit less guilty because they didn't hold up their end of our bargain long enough for me to put them in the ground.
Well the church I work for had red Gerbera Daisies (they're actually not Gerber Daisies) for Pentecost to decorate the altar and they had a few leftovers...so....free plants! Free plants for my pots! Which meant that the hydrangeas were going to be moved. No more procrastinating. Which meant that my husband had to do more work to make my plans come together. Here he is wondering why he ever asked me to marry him:

Not that I didn't do some work too....I grabbed a dainty little shovel and gently lifted the hydrangeas out of the porch pots, admonishing them not to gulp too much air into their exposed root systems. And I smashed the daisies into the pots and watered them down and thought that since they were annuals, I wouldn't feel too bad if they died in the pots. Meanwhile, Chris had to pull cement blocks out of the ground and uproot seven thousand and fifty two ferns that were living in the very spot the hydrangeas wanted to be. Ferns don't matter. They're expendable.
So, my hands enjoyed the dirt and my watering can enjoyed spending time with me.




DAILY BLISS: blow-drying Emma's hair this morning and laughing with my hubby

6 comments:

60ish and Glad said...

Those look like Jon and Sarah's flowers. Which, BTW I loved. I hated leaving home for my conference when the flowers weren't dead yet - but the beautiful beach breeze is comforting my sadness.

claibornes corner said...

Girl you have got to learn how to dig a hole!!!! They will be beautiful - I have a Hydrandra bush that I took a cutting from my Aunt Tady's house 3 years ago. They had been there since the 1940's!! And now I have one at my home!

Rebecca Jeffries-Hyman said...

Oh, HYDRANGEAS!! I'm envious!!

Christy said...

Mom, they are the same kind Jon & Sarah brought. In fact, I gave Jon a couple of the extra plants.
Nana, I know how to dig a hole ;) It's just better to have somebody else do the sweaty work!

Mary said...

Flowers and dresses. It's going to be a good summer.

Amy Button said...

I love hydrangeas. I love Gerbera daisies too although I didn't have a tremendous amount of luck with those last year. It's so sweet of Chris to do all of that for you.